Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/03 09:21:28 UTC

I'm trying to get the marvelous BeanForm component working with tap 4.1

Hello all,

I'm trying to get the marvelous tapestry 4.1 component working with
tapestry 4.1.

It seems to sucessfully create the form, but when I submit the form it
errors out, saying:

[ +/- ] Exception: Unable to read OGNL expression '<parsed OGNL
expression>' of $BeanFormRows_727@15d1298[search/Test/$BeanForm.rows]:
properties
org.apache.tapestry.BindingException
Unable to read OGNL expression '<parsed OGNL expression>' of
$BeanFormRows_727@15d1298[search/Test/$BeanForm.rows]: properties
binding: 	ExpressionBinding[search/Test/$BeanForm.rows properties]
location: 	classpath:/net/sf/beanform/BeanFormRows.jwc, line 33, column 52
28	</description>
29
30	<parameter name="element" default-value="literal:tr"/>
31
32	<component id="rows" type="For">
33	<binding name="source" value="properties"/>
34	<binding name="value" value="property"/>
35	<binding name="index" value="index"/>
36	</component>
37
38	<component id="informal" type="Any" inherit-informal-parameters="yes">

:: ahem:: anyway, before I attempt to get in there and figure this out
myself, has anyone cleared this path yet? Is there a reasonable/simple
update that just needs to be applied or, is it possible tapestry has
so changed from 4.0 (on which the samples are based) to 4.1 that the
component could have broke?

Thanks in advance for any help, and i hope your weekend is going well.

Josh

Re: I'm trying to get the marvelous BeanForm component working with tap 4.1

Posted by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the problem you're having is that Form's
"direct" parameter was removed in 4.1. In case you didn't know, in Tapestry
4.0, if you had direct=false, the whole page was submitted and rewound when
the form was submitted. If you had direct=true, only the Form component was
submitted and rewound. The BeanForm's inner Form needs direct=false so that
on rewind, the components inside the Form have access to the BeanForm
outside the Form.

All of that to say that right now BeanForm only works on Tapestry 4.0 (not
4.1) because of this change to the Form component. There are a couple of
options I've been mulling, but all of them sacrifice a little bit of
usability, so I've been hesitant to implement any of them yet. I'll try to
speed my contemplation up and get 0.4 version out with a fix :-)

In the meantime, if this *is* actually the error you're running up against,
a temporary workaround might be to wrap your BeanForm in a Form and move all
the Form-specific parameters to the new Form. Then, the BeanForm will be
inside the Form and will therefore get submitted and rewound.

Let me know if that fixes your problem. If it doesn't, we can work through
the issues.

Take care,

Daniel

PS- Make sure you're running the 0.3 version, too.

Posted by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.
You didn't feel bad for breaking my BeanForm?!? Shame on you! ;-)

Posted by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.
Good deal.

I've seen a couple of garden gnome ads on gmail when I've been viewing
emails on this list about trolling and trolls :-)

Posted by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Stang <ms...@pingidentity.com>.
Switch to Gentoo and have a current system. :-).

Posted by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com>.
Ow.. that was a depressing run at nabble. Gotta stop nabbl'ing after
midnight. Nothing good comes of it..

So it was an ognl issue, eh?

http://www.nabble.com/BeanForm-Move-tf1921926.html#a5262830

I'm not scared of ognl... much...