Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matt Guise <mg...@mattguise.com> on 2011/02/24 18:01:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Newbie

Please forgive if I am sending this to the wrong place.

I am a newbie and I am trying to reinstall my apache server.

Please let me know if I sent this to the wrong place and I will no longer
bother you.  Please direct me to the right place.

Thanks
Matt

[users@httpd] Re: Newbie

Posted by DW <xf...@hotmail.com>.
Matt Guise wrote:
> Great! This is awesome! Glad you are here.
>
> My ultimate goal is to run the server on my iMac running Mac OS X Version
> 10.6.6.  Using Adobe Dreamweaver I want to test PHP pages locally on my
> computer. All mac's come with Apache installed but for some reason mine is
> not running right. I called AppleCare and they said that I need to reinstall
> Apache.
>
> When I type in the Safari browser " http://localhost/" I get the message "
> Safari can¹t open the page ³http://localhost/² because the server
> unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server
> is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again."
>
> 1. Do you think I should reinstall Apache?
>
> 2. If so I downloaded httpd-2.2.17 and it is sitting on my desktop. Where
> should I put that folder?  I keep all of my websites in the site folder.
> Mathewguise/sites.
>
> http://192.168.1.100/~mathewguise/
>
> Thanks for helping me with my extremely novice questions.
>
> Matt

You will better off installing: MAMP.  You can download it from here:

<http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html> OR
<http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html>

When you have finished with it, you can read this article:

<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_dynamic_site_pt1.html>

hth

Re: [users@httpd] Newbie

Posted by Norman Fournier <no...@normanfournier.com>.
Hello,

You might try putting your files in Library/WebServer/Documents/

Norman

On 2011-02-24, at 12:12 PM, Matt Guise wrote:

> Web Sharing and File Sharing is on and checked.  But when I type in the
> Safari browser " http://localhost/" I get the message "Safari can't open the
> page "http://localhost/" because the server unexpectedly dropped the
> connection. This sometimes occurs when the serveris busy. Wait for a few
> minutes, and then try again."
>
> Which is why they told me to I need to reload Apache.
>
> 1. Do you think I should reinstall Apache?
>
> 2. If so I downloaded httpd-2.2.17 and it is sitting on my desktop. Where
> should I put that folder?  I keep all of my websites in the site folder.
> Mathewguise/sites.
>
> http://192.168.1.100/~mathewguise/
>
> Thanks for helping me with my extremely novice questions.
>
> Matt
>

> On 2/24/11 12:57 PM, "Doug McNutt" <do...@macnauchtan.com> wrote:
>
>> At 11:40 -0600 2/24/11, Matt Guise wrote:
>>> My ultimate goal is to run the server on my iMac running Mac OS X Version
>>> 10.6.6.  Using Adobe Dreamweaver I want to test PHP pages locally on my
>>> computer. All mac's come with Apache installed but for some reason mine is
>>> not running right. I called AppleCare and they said that I need to reinstall
>>> Apache.
>>>
>>> When I type in the Safari browser " http://localhost/" I get the message "
>>> Safari can't open the page "http://localhost/" because the server
>>> unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server
>>> is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again."
>>>

>> I'm surprised, but AppleCare might have missed the obvious:  You will need to
>> turn on the general features of file sharing in OS X. System preferences is
>> the application and Network or Sharing are the GUI style questions. They are
>> obvious to a casual user but frustratingly complex when viewed by a UNIX user.

---
http://www.normanfournier.com

Re: [users@httpd] Newbie

Posted by Matt Guise <mg...@mattguise.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Newbie

Posted by Doug McNutt <do...@macnauchtan.com>.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--

Re: [users@httpd] Newbie

Posted by Matt Guise <mg...@mattguise.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Newbie

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.