Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Shamdasani Nimmi-ANS004 <AN...@motorola.com> on 2001/02/13 21:25:47 UTC

Confusion about struts.jar in classpath

Hi,

I have been following the threads on struts.jar issue and this is what I have. I have deployed an application using struts 1.0 build with tomcat 3.2.1 on windows NT.

Here's the strange situation:

If I don't add struts.jar in my classpath, I can run struts-example but CANNOT run my own application. I get the error in the attached  'my_application_error.html' file.

 <<my_application_error.htm>>

Now if I add struts.jar in my classpath, I can run my own application but CANNOT run struts-example now. The error I get is in 'struts_example_error.html' file

 <<struts_example_error.htm>>

So what is the right way?

-Nimmi

Re: Confusion about struts.jar in classpath

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Shamdasani Nimmi-ANS004 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been following the threads on struts.jar issue and this is what
> I have. I have deployed an application using struts 1.0 build with
> tomcat 3.2.1 on windows NT.
>
> Here's the strange situation:
>
> If I don't add struts.jar in my classpath, I can run struts-example
> but CANNOT run my own application. I get the error in the attached
> 'my_application_error.html' file.
>
>  <<my_application_error.htm>>

Are you also checking to make sure there is not a copy of struts.jar in
your $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext directory?  All JAR files there are
automatically added to the classpath as well.

> Now if I add struts.jar in my classpath, I can run my own application
> but CANNOT run struts-example now. The error I get is in
> 'struts_example_error.html' file
>
>  <<struts_example_error.htm>>

This error means that there was some other problem in initializing the
ActionServlet instance -- check your other Tomcat log files for details.

The most likely error message is a class not found exception on the User
class, which is *exactly* the reason why you should not put struts.jar
on your CLASSPATH.

> So what is the right way?

See my following message -- on a new thread to ensure that it is very
visible.

> -Nimmi

Craig

Re: Confusion about struts.jar in classpath

Posted by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com>.
Maybe I will give a wrong answer. I think when you have a correct full application as *.war file you do not need to use CLASSPATH for this application, but when your
application is not as "good, full, packed" application you need something,... But what - CLASSPATH or put struts.jar under tomcat/lib ?

I do not build yet my application and do not have your experiment. I have tested only struts-example.war.

Maya