Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Aviator <av...@hotmail.com> on 2008/02/25 20:39:40 UTC

Suggestion

Dear Mina Dev Team,

I have been using MINA for the past two weeks now and must say that it is impressive. Before hearing about MINA I had built my own NIO toolkit which drew upon the ideas from SEDA.

I wish to offer one suggestion -- as wonderful as MINA is -- the documentation is sparse at best and should be expanded. I have read all of the materials and can build applications based only on what I have learned so far -- but I know there is much more under the covers (i.e. DemuxingProtocolCodecFactory etc...).

It would be nice to use MINA in a real production application but we are hesitant to do so -- as it would mean that some of our development team would have to start looking through the MINA source to understand deeper what it is capable of -- as well as how to solve certain problems. This would require substantial resources which would not fit our development plans. It is somewhat unreasonable to expect users of a component to study it's implementation in order to learn how to use it effectively.

You have a great concept/implementation here -- if a little more effort is placed on expanding the documentation/tutorials along within the development cycle -- you will most definitely have something which will find it's home into a lot more real world production applications.

All The Best
Aviator

Re: Suggestion

Posted by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com>.
Could you point out some areas in which documentation is lacking?  I
understand that there are many areas that could use more
documentation, but having a list would be something nice to work off
of.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Aviator <av...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Dear Mina Dev Team,
>
>  I have been using MINA for the past two weeks now and must say that it is impressive. Before hearing about MINA I had built my own NIO toolkit which drew upon the ideas from SEDA.
>
>  I wish to offer one suggestion -- as wonderful as MINA is -- the documentation is sparse at best and should be expanded. I have read all of the materials and can build applications based only on what I have learned so far -- but I know there is much more under the covers (i.e. DemuxingProtocolCodecFactory etc...).
>
>  It would be nice to use MINA in a real production application but we are hesitant to do so -- as it would mean that some of our development team would have to start looking through the MINA source to understand deeper what it is capable of -- as well as how to solve certain problems. This would require substantial resources which would not fit our development plans. It is somewhat unreasonable to expect users of a component to study it's implementation in order to learn how to use it effectively.
>
>  You have a great concept/implementation here -- if a little more effort is placed on expanding the documentation/tutorials along within the development cycle -- you will most definitely have something which will find it's home into a lot more real world production applications.
>

>  All The Best
>  Aviator

--------------------------------
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one
else can see.

Re: Suggestion

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Aviator wrote:
> It would be nice to use MINA in a real production application but we are hesitant to do so -- as it would mean that some of our development team would have to start looking through the MINA source to understand deeper what it is capable of -- as well as how to solve certain problems. This would require substantial resources which would not fit our development plans.
At this point, you should also consider the price *not* to use mina,
considering that you could also post questions to the mailing list,
eventually get answers, and keep progressing like that.
> It is somewhat unreasonable to expect users of a component to study it's implementation in order to learn how to use it effectively.

We don't expect anything from users. But if one user feel like the
documentation is not good enough, we are warmly welcome this user to
participate to the common effort. This is the path to a better
documentation ... OSS is not all about writing code :)
> You have a great concept/implementation here -- if a little more effort is placed on expanding the documentation/tutorials along within the development cycle -- you will most definitely have something which will find it's home into a lot more real world production applications.

The thing is that many of us are not native english speakers, and we
find it *painfull* to write documentation in english... We simply do our
best.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com