Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> on 2003/03/19 16:22:34 UTC

Tomcat-user

Hola a todos:

As any of you know i'm currently one the moderators ( well i'm mostly
the human spamwatch, but this another history :)..

Tomcat-user is becoming bigger and bigger over time, and more and more
devoted to jk/jk2, general user questions are becoming more and more
rare <g> this is a exageration of course, but those that lurk there know
what i'm saying :)..

I wonder if it's time to split up the user list ? the split should be
tomcat-connectors-user and tomcat-user..

Comments?

Saludos,
Ignacio J. Ortega

PS: it's a fact that we, jk/jk2 people, should think of :).

Re: Tomcat-user

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Ignacio J. Ortega wrote:
> Hola a todos:
>
> As any of you know i'm currently one the moderators ( well i'm mostly
> the human spamwatch, but this another history :)..
>
> Tomcat-user is becoming bigger and bigger over time, and more and more
> devoted to jk/jk2, general user questions are becoming more and more
> rare <g> this is a exageration of course, but those that lurk there know
> what i'm saying :)..
>
> I wonder if it's time to split up the user list ? the split should be
> tomcat-connectors-user and tomcat-user..
>
> Comments?

Ouch, the amount of spam on tc-user must be huge ...
Personally, I would set the list to automatically deny. It seems too
huge to be managed by one person.

Remy

Some documentation/FAQ entry requests (Was Re: Tomcat-user)

Posted by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Tim,

Nice work at sourceforge.

Quick comments:
1.  Even though the 4.1 classloader tries to explain  classloader hierarchies,
not many are knowledgeable to understand that sometimes a jar in the parent
classloader might have to be changed to load classes from child classloaders
via Thread.getContextClassLoader().load("className").
// I've probably got the API incorrect, but I've been spoilt by Visual Age and
it's method lookups, and am at a cyber cafe right now. Please bear with me.

Perhaps we could have a note somewhere that mentions how to tackle the
ClassNotFound Exceptions ?

e.g. if someone's got a mysql.jar in commons, then one will be able to store
objects into blobs, but not retrieve  blobs into objects, because of class
visibility issues. At such a time, things get more confusing. "If it could
write data, w hy can it not read it back now !".

2. Embedding Tomcat.
A quick 5-10 line note on what embedding involves, perhaps ?
Tomcat's a great way to learn about web servers, and servlets, etc.
Unfortunately, not all undre-grad students really understand OO right away.
Perhaps, even a pointer to the Embedded class might help ?

3. A note  that one should NOT use  PkZip to  uncompress tgz in windows.
I've faced problems here. Sure, the download page does point out to separate
links for Windows and Linux, but "If PKZip opens the archive, then things must
be OK, huh? " Currently winzip seems be the only Archival tool that
uncompresses the tgzs at jakarta-tomcat correctly.
I'd spent three days hunting down virii and performing scandisks, because I had
broken links in my download of the source.

Not many beginners will really appreciate stuff like "gnu extensions" etc. If
they see a smaller file, they download that.

I can't submit anything myself right now, I'm travelling and can only send
plain text files. Please let me know if someone is willing to patch these in.

-- Sriram

Re: Tomcat-user

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Re: Tomcat-user