Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au> on 2008/03/14 22:38:54 UTC

Re: [ANN] New release of PDF image support for Apache FOP

In your readme, you specify the following website:

http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/dev/fop/

This website doesn't seem to work any more.

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I've just published a new release (Version 1.1) of the PDF image support
> plug-in for Apache FOP.
>
> Note: this release is only interesting for people using FOP Trunk
> revision 611768 or later. Version 1.1 doesn't work with FOP 0.94 or any
> earlier version. If you use FOP 0.94, you can use Version 1.0 of the
> plug-in which is still available for download.
>
> For details on the plug-in, please read the README file in the
> distribution.
>
> Downloads:
> http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/download/fop/pdf-images/
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Kamal Bhatt

Re: [ANN] New release of PDF image support for Apache FOP

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Stuff like that is on my wishlist but I currently have no such plans.

Embedding PDF in PostScript files requires a PDF interpreter. PDFBox has
the beginnings of one but it needs more work. I think Ben Litchfield
(the primary author of PDFBox) would be happy get help/resources to
improve that part. Having a good Java-based PDF interpreter/viewer that
is liberally licensed would be a great thing in the first place. The
alternative (depends on licensing options) is to use GhostScript
(GPL/commercial license) to convert PDF to EPS. EPS is directly
supported by the PDF renderer.

Embedding PostScript in PDF requires a PostScript interpreter. There's
no decent one, yet, in the Java world so you end up with GhostScript
again.

Depending on "how useful" this functionalty is to your company, we could
talk off-list about some sponsoring. ;-)

On 15.01.2008 22:11:09 Kamal Bhatt wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Thanks. I've added a redirect. It actually should have been
> > http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/development/fop/
> >

> This would be useful to my company if you supported the addition of PDFs
> to postscript files or the addition of postscript files to PDFs. Do you
> have any plans to do so?
>
> Thanks.
> > On 14.03.2008 22:38:54 Kamal Bhatt wrote:
> >
> >> In your readme, you specify the following website:
> >>
> >> http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/dev/fop/
> >>
> >> This website doesn't seem to work any more.

> > Jeremias Maerki

> Kamal Bhatt

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [ANN] New release of PDF image support for Apache FOP

Posted by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Thanks. I've added a redirect. It actually should have been
> http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/development/fop/

This would be useful to my company if you supported the addition of PDFs
to postscript files or the addition of postscript files to PDFs. Do you
have any plans to do so?

Thanks.
> On 14.03.2008 22:38:54 Kamal Bhatt wrote:
>
>> In your readme, you specify the following website:
>>
>> http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/dev/fop/
>>
>> This website doesn't seem to work any more.
>>
>> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>
>>> I've just published a new release (Version 1.1) of the PDF image support
>>> plug-in for Apache FOP.
>>>
>>> Note: this release is only interesting for people using FOP Trunk
>>> revision 611768 or later. Version 1.1 doesn't work with FOP 0.94 or any
>>> earlier version. If you use FOP 0.94, you can use Version 1.0 of the
>>> plug-in which is still available for download.
>>>
>>> For details on the plug-in, please read the README file in the
>>> distribution.
>>>
>>> Downloads:
>>> http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/download/fop/pdf-images/
>>>

>>> Jeremias Maerki
>>>

> Jeremias Maerki

Kamal Bhatt

Re: [ANN] New release of PDF image support for Apache FOP

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Thanks. I've added a redirect. It actually should have been
http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/development/fop/

On 14.03.2008 22:38:54 Kamal Bhatt wrote:
> In your readme, you specify the following website:
>
> http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/dev/fop/
>
> This website doesn't seem to work any more.
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > I've just published a new release (Version 1.1) of the PDF image support
> > plug-in for Apache FOP.
> >
> > Note: this release is only interesting for people using FOP Trunk
> > revision 611768 or later. Version 1.1 doesn't work with FOP 0.94 or any
> > earlier version. If you use FOP 0.94, you can use Version 1.0 of the
> > plug-in which is still available for download.
> >
> > For details on the plug-in, please read the README file in the
> > distribution.
> >
> > Downloads:
> > http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/download/fop/pdf-images/
> >

> > Jeremias Maerki