Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave Johnson <sn...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/31 18:50:32 UTC

Ready for a 3.0 RC? What about themes/plugins?

The docs are up-to-date and bugs are under control.

Here's an issue I'd like to resolve (and document in the Installation
Guide) before the RC:

We recently decided to ship only a couple of themes and plugins and we
still need to figure out what to do with the themes and plugins that
we don't ship with Roller.

I'd like to propose that, not only should we remove them from the
release, we should also remove them from Apache SVN. We should remove
them from SVN and move them to the old Roller project at Java.Net and
make them available for download there. Here's why:

- We've already re-purposed the old Roller project site as the "Roller
Support" site -- to host LGPL components and plugins/themes that
depend on LGPL.

- The extra themes and plugins aren't essential to the community of
developers maintaining Roller. Ideally, Roller should ship with a
couple really good themes/plugins and the rest should be provided an
maintained by the community of Roller users.

- By using the "Struts Applications" model, we can encourage more
theme development by the community. Struts team members established a
Sourceforge project to host Struts add-ons and contributors who don't
necessarily have Apache committer status.

- Themes and plugins can use other-licensed components freely, since
the Roller Support project is not Apache territory.

- Dave

Re: Ready for a 3.0 RC? What about themes/plugins?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.
definite +1

I have been in a lot of meetings so far this week so I haven't had much
time, but I plan to spend some time this afternoon doing the plugins
move that i suggested and finishing up the few remaining items on my 3.0
TODO list.

-- Allen

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
On the "rel" front - I noticed that rel="nofollow" is added to all
links.  However, if "rel" is already on the link, it's gets added
twice.  For example, I add rel="lightbox" for image popups.

Matt

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Sean Gilligan wrote:
> Allen Gilliland wrote:
>> i agree, we aren't going to add new features for 3.0.
>
> I don't want to hold up 3.0 -- it has most of the features in my
> wishlist implemented!  :)  The 3.1 release is a good target (although I
> may merge it in sooner in my build)
>

>> it looked like you were just suggesting a plugin and if that's the
>> case then that wouldn't go into the src tree anyways.
>
> Most likely, it *shouldn't* be a plugin, for three reasons:
>
> 1) Podcasting and videoblogging are important enough that they should be
> supported in the core.  (e.g. the current Podcast capability)
> 2) I don't think there are any real drawbacks to having this enabled (by
> default or all-the-time)
> 3) I'm not sure there is a plug-in mechanism in Roller that will support
> it.  (More on this later)
>

>  you should just develop
>> it and then add it to your running installation yourself.
>
> Although it is (last I checked, which was many months ago) an MT plugin,
> I believe it is built-in to WordPress and I really think it should be an
> out-of-box feature of any Blog SW that wants to support
> Podcasting/Vlogging.

Cool.  Now would be the time to start working on proposals for 3.1 then.
  I know I am planning to get my 3.1 proposals at least started by next
week, and if I'm lucky I'll have them done by the end of the week.

-- Allen

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Dave Johnson wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com> wrote:
>> Sean Gilligan wrote:
>> > If I write a proposal and the committers review and approve, I
>> believe I
>> > could have a patch by Aug 15th.
>> Sorry, I meant SEPTEMBER 15th.
>
> We're trying to get an RC out this week, so I'd vote -1 on that just
> based on timing.

i agree, we aren't going to add new features for 3.0.

it looked like you were just suggesting a plugin and if that's the case
then that wouldn't go into the src tree anyways. you should just develop
it and then add it to your running installation yourself.  Roller is no
longer going to be putting plugins into the core source tree.

-- Allen

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
Dave Johnson wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com> wrote:
>> Sean Gilligan wrote:
>> > If I write a proposal and the committers review and approve, I
>> believe I
>> > could have a patch by Aug 15th.
>> Sorry, I meant SEPTEMBER 15th.
>
> We're trying to get an RC out this week, so I'd vote -1 on that just
> based on timing.

Fair enough.

> However, I'd like to rally folks for a quick follow-on 3.1 release a
> month after 3.0 to address bugs and minor improvements.

Sounds good.

-- Sean

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
I'm basing this on my reading of the Expires header description in the HTTP
1.1 spec 14.21: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html and
13.2.1:  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec13.html#sec13.2 and
my experiments with Firefox and IE.

We could also include the HTTP 1.1 header "Cache-Control: must-revalidate".

We can do further research as well.  In any case, I've now localized that
logic.  If we want to change it or remove it; it is in one place.

--a.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
I am going to try sending a combination of Expires and Last-Modified and see
if this can induce IE both to send subsequent requests and to include the
If-Modified-Since header.  (Will test with Firefox as well).  Based on my
reading of the spec, this should work.

I'll also take a look at the aggregated front page case, assuming I can
figure out how to set that up.  If this doesn't send Last-Modified headers,
I suspect it will work exactly like 2.3 in skirting the staleness issue.

In the cases I diagnosed to date, the problem was that IE with its checking
policy set to its default ("Automatically"), was not sending requests at
all.

In cases where we were not sending Last-Modified dates at all, IE under the
Automatic setting would revert to checking every time with no
If-Modified-Since header.  This works as expected.  It also explains why the
front page worked with IE in 2.3 but not in 3.0.

To get IE to work properly in the general case I had to set IE to "Check on
Every Visit" which causes it to make a request and send If-Modified-Since
headers when possible.  This was also working as expected; I did not see any
of the millisecond granularity issues if there were any when I tested.

--a.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.
Thanks for looking into this Anil, it's definitely a bit unfortunate
that IE is causing this problem.  I would imagine that lots of other
websites have this problem since it's not at all uncommon to have pages
that change frequently throughout the day.

One thing you can possibly look into is some debugging/comparison on the
Last-Modified and If-Modified-Since headers that are used on the
frontpage if it's set to aggregated mode.  The dates for those headers
are managed differently than the ones for weblogs because when the
frontpage is in aggregated mode, meaning it is expected to show
site-wide data, then you can't rely on the weblog.lastModified attribute
to have the right date.

If you look in the PageServlet you'll see what I mean.  For the
aggregated frontpage the lastModified date used for the cache control
headers is actually kept cached in memory in the SiteWideCache class.

Normally this wouldn't be of any concern, but I noticed during
development that when that cached Date object is actually set as the
Last-Modified header it loses some precision, and so the actual long
value you get from the Date.getTime() and the value you get from the
If-Modified-Since header will almost always be non-equal due to the
difference in precision.  Namely, the long you get from the cached Date
object will be some # of milliseconds ahead of the version you get from
the If-Modified-Since header, which is truncated when it gets passed
through the http headers.  This basically means that the header will
always be a matter milliseconds behind the cached Date and if you
compare them directly then the header will always make it seem like the
content has been modified.

To fix this I had to correct for that loss of precision so that the
cache control would actually work properly, you can see what's happening
in the PageServlet where I left a long comment about this.  In any case,
I only checked this functionality on firefox during development, so it's
possible that IE works a bit differently and there is possibly still
some kind of problem when doing the cache control checking in IE.  If
you set the PageServlet to DEBUG mode it should be pretty easy to check
this since the debug messaging shows both the lastModified and
ifModifiedSince dates that it is using for its comparison.  So you can
see what date gets set for Last-Modified and what date it gets back and
uses for comparison on the next request.

Of course, all of that is completely mute if IE is just bypassing the
use of the cache control headers, but it's something that can be checked.

-- Allen

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.

Re: problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

problems with 3.0 on IE

Posted by Dave Johnson <sn...@gmail.com>.
It's definitely not too late for new translations (and bug fixes), as
long as they're ready now or in the next couple of days.

- Dave

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.

Posted by Dave Johnson <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
Hi Dave, et. al.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Dave,

I missed this message when I replied to some messages about plugins
and their homes.

Sorry for the noise; I agree with what you are saying here,
especially with regard to repurposing the old Roller site. As long as
it's clear on both sites where active development is done, and what
the rationale is for each site, I think it's an excellent solution.

Is a vote needed to formalize this proposal?

Craig