Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu> on 2002/02/28 15:50:14 UTC

Cocoon and Jetty??

I'm new to cocoon. Just downloaded it yesterday and can't get it to run.

AFAIK Jetty doesn't expand wars, so I expanded it manually into
/cocoon/war. /cocoon and /jetty are symlinks to /usr/local/realdir.
Configured jetty to treat /cocoon/war as a webapp as always. In
particular, in /etc/jetty.xml:

	<Call name="addWebApplication">
		<Arg>/cocoon/*</Arg>
		<Arg>/cocoon/war/</Arg>
		<Arg>/jetty/etc/webdefault.xml</Arg>
		<Arg type="boolean">false</Arg>
	</Call>

and in apache's httpd.conf add.

	ProxyPass /cocoon http://localhost:8080/cocoon

I built cocoon as described in the install, modified to use jetty
instead of tomcat:

	./build.sh  -Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes
-Dinstall.war=/jetty/webapps webapp

The Jetty logs are normal except that they now show Server 1.6 on the
air, hit ^C to abort, presumably from cocoon.

All this on Linux RH 7.0, Jetty (latest), and IBM SDK 1.3.1 (latest).
For Cocoon, same results with the release version and via CVS
checkout/rebuild.

Can someone help me get on the air?

sitemap.log

ERROR   (2002-02-28) 09:28.11:234   [sitemap](/cocoon/)
SocketListener-0/Handler: Error compiling sitemap
java.lang.NoSuchFieldError:
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.AbstractSitemap: field manager not found
	at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.configure(sitemap_xmap.java:347)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:172)
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:84)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.GeneratorSelector.addGenerator(GeneratorSelector.java:165)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.load(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:251)
	at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.run(Handler.java:270)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:498)

error.log
ERROR   (2002-02-28) 09:28.11:269[access](/cocoon/)
SocketListener-0/CocoonServlet: Problem with servlet
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Error compiling sitemap:
java.lang.NoSuchFieldError:
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.AbstractSitemap: field manager not found
	at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.run(Handler.java:295)
[...]

access.log
INFO    (2002-02-28) 09:27.47:710   [access](/cocoon/)
SocketListener-1/CocoonServlet: '' Processed by Apache Cocoon
2.0.2-dev in 410 milliseconds.
DEBUG   (2002-02-28) 09:28.11:167   [access](/cocoon/)
SocketListener-0/AbstractEnvironment: Resolving 'sitemap.xmap' in
context 'file:/cocoon/war/'
DEBUG   (2002-02-28) 09:28.11:168   [access](/cocoon/)
SocketListener-0/AbstractEnvironment: Resolved to
'file:/cocoon/war/sitemap.xmap'
DEBUG   (2002-02-28) 09:28.11:168   [access](/cocoon/)
SocketListener-0/AbstractEnvironment: Resolving '' in context
'file:/cocoon/war/'
DEBUG   (2002-02-28) 09:28.11:169   [access](/cocoon/)
SocketListener-0/AbstractEnvironment: Resolved to 'file:/cocoon/war/'
ERROR   (2002-02-28) 09:28.11:250   [access](/cocoon/)
[...]
INFO    (2002-02-28) 09:28.11:391   [access](/cocoon/)
SocketListener-0/CocoonServlet: '' Processed by Apache Cocoon
2.0.2-dev in 303 milliseconds.

--
Brad Cox, PhD; bcox@virtualschool.edu 703 361 4751
o For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.

RE: Cocoon and Jetty??

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@visitronics.be>.

>Thanks. But re: Do not forget to remove Cocoon's working directory!!!
>
>Where is cocoon's working directory?

tomcat/work/localhost/cocoon is the default work directory

Re: Work with SVG / Taglib

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ba...@nicolaken.com>.
From: "Andreas Bednarz" <an...@education-one.de>

> Thank you very much, do you have some basic link to a source of a
seralizer cunstruct.?

It's in the documentation (onsite and CVS), but I would suggest you to look
at the code of the Serializers that Cocoon already has, and learn from
those.

Happy hacking :-)

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 barozzi@nicolaken.com
            - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Work with SVG / Taglib

Posted by Andreas Bednarz <an...@education-one.de>.
Thank you very much, do you have some basic link to a source of a seralizer cunstruct.?

Andreas
Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Work with SVG / Taglib

Posted by "Bednarz, education-one GmbH" <an...@education-one.de>.
Hi there,

I woul like to use my SVG compression taglib from
http://printx.org/svgembed/index.php inside Cocoon. The SVG serializer is
too large and to unstable for my purposes. Does anyone has an idea how to

Re: Cocoon and Jetty

Posted by Jozsa Kristof <dy...@kami.vein.hu>.
Hi,

let meg add my 2c.. I'm developing on Cocoon 2.0.1 dropped in JBoss3 beta
cvs snapshots, which uses Jetty as its webserver. It's about 30 sec getting
Cocoon work on that config:

- drop xerces, xalan, xml-apis and jstyle jars into jboss3/lib
- add this into run.sh of jboss3:
   # Cocoon stuff
   JBOSS_CLASSPATH=$JBOSS_CLASSPATH:../lib/xerces-1.4.4.jar
   JBOSS_CLASSPATH=$JBOSS_CLASSPATH:../lib/xalan-2.2.0-D13.jar
   JBOSS_CLASSPATH=$JBOSS_CLASSPATH:../lib/xml-apis.jar
   JBOSS_CLASSPATH=$JBOSS_CLASSPATH:../lib/jstyle.jar

So I guess getting Cocoon2 work on plain Jetty is very similar too.

Christopher

ps. I do prefer Python for unix sysadmin tasks, but imho it's far from being
an enterprise tool..

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 07:04:30PM -0800, Rob Finneran wrote:
> Hello Listees,
>
> I remember Brad from seeing him on the Jetty list. He helped me out one day
> when I was having some problems - so I think he's a good guy, despite his
> frustrations.
>
> As for my own experience with Cocoon:
>
> I can report success with C2 and the JBoss-2.4.4/Jetty-3.1.3 combination
> "right out of the box".
>
> The real trick was for me to get Xerces working with
> JBoss-2.4.4/Jetty-3.1.3. After I accomplished that, I simply copied the
> cocoon .war file to the JBoss deploy directory and then it was working fine.
>
> While I think Python and Zope are good tools, I prefer the power and
> flexibility of the Java-based open-source solutions.
>
> Rob

.Digital.Yearning.for.Networked.Assassination.and.Xenocide

RE: Cocoon and Jetty

RE: Cocoon and Jetty

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.

RE: Cocoon and Jetty

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Brad Cox wrote:

Dear Brad

> After wasting this whole week trying  to get Cocoon out of the box
> with not one suggestions from cocoon developers, I'm beginning to get
> the message.

Maybe you missed the reply from Vadim. He *is* a cocoon developer.

I think you've had alot of suggestions how to solve your problem from
the community here and I don't see why you have to put your frustration
out into this community. If the suggestions doesn't helped you out is
not our fault IMO and maybe Jetty isn't used here very much so we might
lack specific knowledge .

If we had to publish 'success stories' the mail traffic on this list
would sure be exhausting.

Sure, I'd like you to be able to play with Cocoon and that you've
used Tomcat 4.0.2 (which gave some problems with Cocoon as well) was
mentioned in an other thread on this list.

Finally my suggestion to you would be try it on another servlet engine
as my experience is that is usually *does* run out of the box following
the installation guidlines from the documents.

Cheers

Giacomo

RE: Cocoon and Jetty ---> Zope

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.
After wasting this whole week trying  to get Cocoon out of the box
with not one suggestions from cocoon developers, I'm beginning to get
the message.

The following review points to Zope as a way out. Its time to trash
my investment in Java and rebuild my application in Zope. What a
bloody waste.

A comparative review of Zope and Cocoon.
http://www.arielpartners.com/arielpartners/content/public/topics/technology/technologyReviews/zopeVsCocoon

RE: Cocoon and Jetty??

Posted by Rob Finneran <ro...@digitalskyscrapers.com>.
Just for fun, eliminate cocoon and test it anyway.
Also either rebuild the cocoon jar without the xml parser stuff or remove it
from the jetty/webapps/WEB-INF/lib.

You might try asking this question on the Xerces-J user list, even if it is
a cocoon issue, they would immediately understand the parser error messages.

Good Luck!

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.

RE: Cocoon and Jetty??

Posted by Rob Finneran <ro...@digitalskyscrapers.com>.
Just another thought -

Some older versions of crimson come with funny names like parsers.jar, etc.
Maybe this will help??

Well, I'm not really sure, but my hunch still is that it's still picking up
the either the  crimson stuff or a different version of JAXP (now I really
don't know much about what I'm talking about!)

Its my understanding that the relevant JAXP and SAX API are all built into
the two Xerces 2.0 jars.

RE: Cocoon and Jetty??

RE: Cocoon and Jetty??

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.