Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net> on 2004/09/13 14:43:32 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 43688 - spamassassin/trunk/spamd

On Saturday 11 September 2004 07:04 CET Justin Mason wrote:
> Isn't the SYNOPSIS used for spamd's usage message?   If so, I
> think removing the defaults from that message is a bad thing...

Yes it is (that's why I shortened it to 80 chars), IMO everybody who's
interested in the defaults can have a look at the man page.  The output is
already pretty long and complex without the default values.  I'm fine with
adding the defaults again, but then we should note the default values for
*all* options, not just for a few random ones.

To fight the complexity of the help output I though about splitting it into
several categories, something like "General Options", "Config Options",
etc.  Or, alternatively to show only the basic options in the SYNOPSIS and
for all the advanced and rarely used ones (like --virtual-config-dir and
--server-key) show just a text "for more advanced options have a look at
the man page".  What do you think is better?

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>