Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Krishnakumar B <ww...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/02 09:08:12 UTC

working on bugs

hi,

i would like to work on some of the open bugs posted in JIRA. How do i
go about working on the same and closing them. I have a dev
environment created from the daily builds and am able to debug the
issues.

Regards
Krishnakumar B

Re: working on bugs

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Welcome!

While it may seem easier at first to work from source snapshots, you
will really need to check out the source code using subversion so you
will be able to create diffs of your patches.  There is some
information on getting the source code here:
http://geronimo.apache.org/svn.html

When you find an issue you are interested in working on, you may want
to discuss it on the dev list to make sure no one else is almost done
fixing it and to find out if anyone has advice or opinions on the best
solution.  Many jira issues are assigned to a developer already but
that usually does not mean that the issue is being actively worked on.
Often issues are assigned to the person who knows the most about a
topic with the hope that they will eventually fix them.

In any case, feel free to ask questions!

When you have a fix you want to contribute, run svn diff to get a patch
file and attach it to the jira issue, being sure to check the licensing
box so we can actually apply the patch.  One or more committers will
review it and if there are no objections apply it.  If you make
sustained and significant contributions we will eventually vote to give
you commit status.

Many thanks,
david jencks