Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au> on 2000/07/15 15:11:18 UTC

FP beta-testing feedback (was: Re: [ANN] FP TagLib)

I spent much of today playing with FP, and couldn't quite get it
going. Has anyone else got feedback?

I followed the installation instructions exactly, I hope (Tomcat
3.2dev, Cocoon1.7.5dev from CVS).

Clicking on the first "[add]" button (item-add.xml?item=1), I get a
form with no labels anywhere, empty drop-down lists and a label-less
submit button. It seems that the <fp:read> tags aren't doing anything.

To illustrate, the line:

<fp:read as="node" from="external-item" select="../item/title"/>

is supposed to generate:

    <title>Title 1</title>
    <title>Title 2</title>
    <title>Title ...</title>

and doesn't.

A possible cause: the FP class fpResource uses
org.apache.xerces.parsers.RevalidatingDOMParser, which isn't present
in the default xerces.jar for cocoon1 (1.0.3), cocoon2 (1.1.2), and is
currently broken (and commented out in build.xml) in the latest xerces
from CVS. I would have expected ClassNotFoundErrors, but didn't see
any.

Can't wait to get this going; it looks extremely cool :)

Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> A preview release of the FP TagLib is available.
> It's a kind of "pre-cocoon-donation" version, I'm interested to see if it
> runs on other's setups and if people think they'll find it useful.
>
> You can download it from here:
>
>         http://www.media.demon.co.uk/fp/fp.sit.bin      (MacOS)
>         http://www.media.demon.co.uk/fp/fp.zip                  (WIN)
>         http://www.media.demon.co.uk/fp/fp.tar.Z                (UNIX)

Unless I'm doing something dumb, I think this last file is corrupted.
$ gunzip -t fp.tar.Z

gunzip: fp.tar.Z: corrupt input.

Installing from the zip, form/default.xml is horribly mangled (even
for win;), ie it starts:

ΓΏ^@<^@?^@x^@m^@l^@

--Jeff

Re: FP beta-testing feedback (was: Re: [ANN] FP TagLib)

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 13:50 +1000 20/07/00, Jeff Turner wrote:
>I managed to get Jeremy's FP taglib going. If anyone wants to have a
>play, visit
>http://gollum.socialchange.net.au:8080/cocoon/samples/fp/index.xml

Brilliant, thanks for doing this.
I don't have my own Cocoon server online yet

>The version I used is currently at
>http://www.media.demon.co.uk/fp/fp.zip
>
>It's good stuff :)
>
>--Jeff

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
    <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>        <pa...@sms.genie.co.uk>

RE: FP beta-testing feedback (was: Re: [ANN] FP TagLib)

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
> I managed to get Jeremy's FP taglib going. If anyone wants to have a
> play, visit
> http://gollum.socialchange.net.au:8080/cocoon/samples/fp/index.xml
>
> The version I used is currently at
> http://www.media.demon.co.uk/fp/fp.zip
>
> It's good stuff :)

That's really cool! I haven checked on the fp taglib and think
I should ;-)
--
Torsten

Re: FP beta-testing feedback (was: Re: [ANN] FP TagLib)

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 23:11 +1000 15/07/00, Jeff Turner wrote:
>I spent much of today playing with FP, and couldn't quite get it
>going. Has anyone else got feedback?
>
>I followed the installation instructions exactly, I hope (Tomcat
>3.2dev, Cocoon1.7.5dev from CVS).
>
>Clicking on the first "[add]" button (item-add.xml?item=1), I get a
>form with no labels anywhere, empty drop-down lists and a label-less
>submit button. It seems that the <fp:read> tags aren't doing anything.
>
>To illustrate, the line:
>
><fp:read as="node" from="external-item" select="../item/title"/>
>
>is supposed to generate:
>
>    <title>Title 1</title>
>    <title>Title 2</title>
>    <title>Title ...</title>
>
>and doesn't.
>
>A possible cause: the FP class fpResource uses
>org.apache.xerces.parsers.RevalidatingDOMParser, which isn't present
>in the default xerces.jar for cocoon1 (1.0.3), cocoon2 (1.1.2), and is
>currently broken (and commented out in build.xml) in the latest xerces
>from CVS. I would have expected ClassNotFoundErrors, but didn't see
>any.

No, I am not using RevalidatingDOMParser yet.

Can you please try this ....

Edit the XML file "item-add.xml" changing the output StyleSheet to use
"form-xml.xsl" instead of "form-html.xsl".

Send me the output

>Can't wait to get this going; it looks extremely cool :)

Thanks

>Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>         http://www.media.demon.co.uk/fp/fp.tar.Z                (UNIX)
>
>Unless I'm doing something dumb, I think this last file is corrupted.
>$ gunzip -t fp.tar.Z
>
>gunzip: fp.tar.Z: corrupt input.
>
>Installing from the zip, form/default.xml is horribly mangled (even
>for win;), ie it starts:

I think I will have to stop issuing a Unix release, it appears my Unix
Compress app is broken.

Do Unix people generally have access to un-zip code?

I will re-make the distribution.

It would be really handy if anyone who has managed to get the sample that
came with FP TagLib to work correctly, to let me know (off-list).

regards Jeremy