Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by kureckam <mk...@fractech.net> on 2012/10/20 06:36:05 UTC

5.7 doesn't consume on queue

I'm in the process of updating from 5.5.1 to 5.7.0 but have an issue. The app
being updated sends a message on one queue and listens on a different queue.
The message is successfully sent and received by a Spring based app running
in Tomcat and using ActiveMQ 5.5.1. The Tomcat app places the ack message in
the queue and I see that it is enqueued but isn't received by updated app.
If I run the 5.5.1 activemq.bat file it works. Do I need to change something
else that I'm not aware of?

Re: 5.7 doesn't consume on queue

Posted by kureckam <mk...@fractech.net>.
Thanks for the validation.  Will this be the case from now on? For example,
if one was 5.6 and the other 5.7 would that still be a problem or is it just
a problem between mixing 5.5.1 and earlier versions with 5.6 or later?  The
reason we use a network of brokers is to allow communications between any
computer with our pxx software to a singly specified computer with our fxx
software without affecting the other broker. Is there some other way of
performing such an operation?

Re: 5.7 doesn't consume on queue

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yep, that's the case. There are incompatible changes around the
DemandForwarding bridge and the expected behaviors: The subscriptions are
created slightly differently. Among possibly other changes, this SVN
revision is what changed that would cause the behavior specifically that
you're seeing:

https://fisheye6.atlassian.com/changelog/activemq?cs=1205508

>From this JIRA:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-3384?page=com.atlassian.jirafisheyeplugin:fisheye-issuepanel

In this case, you'll have to pick on version or the other for both brokers.
Any specific reason why you need a network of brokers for this use case?

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
So I see two broker configs in activemq.xml:

pBroker <----duplex bridge ---> fBroker

and I see one broker $fBroker in the jms.xml.

I see the spring beans for the message listener container, and how it's
listening on START and a JMSTemplate that will send to ACK. Is the
connection factory pointing to the $fBroker?

I'm not seeing how pBroker/fBroker on the server have anything to do with
$fBroker.

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
if you give enough info to recreate on our side, i can help.
i need broker configs and any client side configs you have

Posted by Torsten Mielke <to...@fusesource.com>.
On Oct 20, 2012, at 6:36 AM, kureckam wrote:

> I'm in the process of updating from 5.5.1 to 5.7.0 but have an issue. The app
> being updated sends a message on one queue and listens on a different queue.
> The message is successfully sent and received by a Spring based app running
> in Tomcat and using ActiveMQ 5.5.1. The Tomcat app places the ack message in
> the queue and I see that it is enqueued but isn't received by updated app.
> If I run the 5.5.1 activemq.bat file it works. Do I need to change something
> else that I'm not aware of?

I am not aware of any changes in this regards. Have you double checked in JMX (e.g. jconsole) that there is a consumer registered on the queue that the Tomcat app writes the ack message to?
Can you browse the ack message using jconsole?
Any additional logging in the brokers log file that would indicate a problem?

Cheers,

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com