Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lyallex <ly...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/14 12:06:24 UTC

Request for documentation

I'm trying to find some documentation that details the request lifecycle
I've looked in the obvious places ... and some not so obvious ones

That is: NOT the servlet lifecycle documentation, this is a different
thing entirely.

I need some documentation that details exactly what happens when the
fist bit of a request arrives at the server all the way through to
when the last bit of the response leaves the server. Does any such
documentation exit?

Presumably the version of Tomcat is important

7.0.42

Thanks in advance

Re: Request for documentation

Posted by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de>.
Am 14.05.2016 um 14:06 schrieb Lyallex:

> I need some documentation that details exactly what happens when the
> fist bit of a request arrives at the server all the way through to
> when the last bit of the response leaves the server. Does any such
> documentation exit?
>
> Presumably the version of Tomcat is important
>
> 7.0.42

If you're that specific about what you actually need and the version
(potentially also special cases etc), the best bet is probably the
source distribution or svn repository. On such a technical level this is
best documented in Java code.

Olaf

Re: Request for documentation

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/05/2016 10:40, Lyallex wrote:
> On 16 May 2016 at 07:49, Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I'm trying to find some documentation that details the request lifecycle
>>> I've looked in the obvious places ... and some not so obvious ones
>>>
>>> That is: NOT the servlet lifecycle documentation, this is a different
>>> thing entirely.
>>>
>>> I need some documentation that details exactly what happens when the
>>> fist bit of a request arrives at the server all the way through to
>>> when the last bit of the response leaves the server. Does any such
>>> documentation exit?
>>
>> Check this one
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/architecture/requestProcess/request-process.png
>

> Excellent, a UML sequence diagram. By far the most useful UML model type..
>
> Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.
>
> +1 as they say on the trendy (but largely useless) web forums.

I think you'll find that the "+1" concept started at the ASF[1]. If you
look through the archives, particularly on the dev lists you'll find
quite a few of them along with some -1's, +0's, -0's and the occasional
fractional vote such as +0.5.

Mark

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

Posted by Venkata Reddy P <Ve...@trianz.com>.
Hi,

Is it same for tomcat ajp request execution flow?

Thanks
Venkata

Posted by Lyallex <ly...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.