Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net> on 2003/11/25 12:25:10 UTC

Newbie setup on Orion

Hi all,

I've used log4j with Jboss for ages and it works really well. Now I'm
trying to port my app to Orion and I realise that I have to initialize
log4j and setup the log4j properties file myself.

I've read the docs and I'm trying to do it using an initialization
servlet.

Here's the bones of the code:

public class Init implements ServletContextListener {
    private static Logger log = Logger.getLogger( Init.class);
    private Configuration config;

    public void contextDestroyed(ServletContextEvent sce) {
        log.info("notification that the web app is stopping");
    }

    public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent sce) {
        System.out.println("notification that the web app is started");
	  config = Configuration.getInstance();
	  initializeLog4j();
    }

	private void initializeLog4j(){
		String pathToLog4jFile = config.getPathToLog4jProps();
		if (pathToLog4jFile == null) {
			System.err.println("Log4j properties file not
found");
			System.err.println("Log4J cannot be
initialized.");
		} else {
			PropertyConfigurator.configure(pathToLog4jFile);
		}
	}
}

Now, I presume I then have to put a basic log4j.properties file on the
defined path above and away we go. However, when I put the log4j
properties file in the /orion/lib folder along with the jar itself I get
a nasty startup error. If anyone is successfully using log4j with orion
I could really do with a hand.

Thanks so much,
Brian

RE: Newbie setup on Orion

Posted by Tun Lin <ch...@singnet.com.sg>.
Is the latest jar file 345KB? However, I still have

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for
logger(org.pdfbox.pdfparser.PDFParser).

What is wrong? Can anyone help?

RE: Newbie setup on Orion

Posted by Thomas Svensen <ts...@cellus.no>.

RE: Newbie setup on Orion

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.
Thanks a Million Thomas!

[...]

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

RE: Newbie setup on Orion

Posted by Thomas Svensen <ts...@cellus.no>.

RE: Newbie setup on Orion

We are using log4j successfully with Orion. What we are doing, is
putting log4j.jar in the application "lib" directory and log4j.xml in
the "WEB-INF/classes". Works fine :-)

- Thomas S.

<-- cut, cut-->

RE: Newbie setup on Orion

Posted by Thomas Svensen <ts...@cellus.no>.
We are using log4j successfully with Orion. What we are doing, is
putting log4j.jar in the application "lib" directory and log4j.xml in
the "WEB-INF/classes". Works fine :-)

- Thomas S.

<-- cut, cut-->