Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by Vuong Dao Nghe <vu...@yahoo.com> on 2011/03/29 07:45:46 UTC

How can Opennlp recognize words with exclamation mark ?

Hi all,

Is there anyway that opennlp can recognize the word with some special characters
like: "!" "," ":" etc.

For example:
The normal sentence: "This is good"
But some time: "This is good!!!! "

And I see opennlp can not find the word "good" since it is attached to "!!!!"
(without any space).

Is there a way or option on command that help opennlp find these words stick
with other special characters?

Thanks alot,
Alex

Re: How can Opennlp recognize words with exclamation mark ?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/11 11:12 AM, Vuong Dao Nghe wrote:
> Yes, that is the way I choose! I pre-porcess the input before pass to the
> POStagger.
>
> Just wonder if there is an option that Opennlp can handle it, so we do not need
> this step.

No, you have to do it yourself or use a framework like UIMA with
the OpenNLP Integration. That way you can define these step
in an xml descriptor.

Jörn

Re: How can Opennlp recognize words with exclamation mark ?

Posted by Vuong Dao Nghe <vu...@yahoo.com>.

________________________________
On 3/29/11 10:53 AM, Vuong Dao Nghe wrote:
> Yes, it will give the word : "good!!!!_NN" instead of "good_JJ"

You are running the pos tagger?

Usually you first break your input into sentences and
tokens, then it can be passed to the pos tagger.

Jörn

Re: How can Opennlp recognize words with exclamation mark ?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vuong Dao Nghe <vu...@yahoo.com>.
Yes, it will give the word : "good!!!!_NN" instead of "good_JJ"

Alex.

________________________________
On 3/29/11 7:45 AM, Vuong Dao Nghe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there anyway that opennlp can recognize the word with some special
>characters
> like: "!" "," ":" etc.
>
> For example:
> The normal sentence: "This is good"
> But some time: "This is good!!!! "
>
> And I see opennlp can not find the word "good" since it is attached to "!!!!"
> (without any space).
>
> Is there a way or option on command that help opennlp find these words stick
> with other special characters?

The tokenizer should be able to do that. It should break
your sentence into:
This
is
good
!
!
!

Which result do you get from the tokenizer? good!!! ?

Jörn

Re: How can Opennlp recognize words with exclamation mark ?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.