Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/15 15:53:18 UTC

Plans for Depreciation of Security Manager

Was reading a recent InfoQ article (1) that touched on JEP-411 deprivation of Security Manager which relates to deprivation/removal of Applet (3). The article links up with a Netbeans blog entry on this (4).

Sounds like Netbeans uses it more for monitoring than actual security matters so does this mean really this sort of monitoring will no longer be possible and just needs to be removed? Or does this mean it needs to be modified to leverage different APIs (Security Policy??)?

What is the plan for this?

Not sure if this is related but does this overlap with a ticket raised previously on some other Security related deprecations (5)?

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com (mailto:Ebresie@gmail.com)

Reference:

(1) https://www.infoq.com/news/2021/04/java-security-vote/
(2) https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/411
(3) https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/ (https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/411)398/
(4) https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/jep-411-deprecate-the-security (https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/jep-411-deprecate-the-security)
(5) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5376 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5376?filter=-2)

Re: Plans for Depreciation of Security Manager

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
You could reach out directly to some of those I’ve forewarded to you.

Gj

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Also at infoq:

https://www.infoq.com/news/2021/06/openjdk-post-securitymanager/

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
> Sounds like Netbeans uses it more for monitoring than actual security
> matters ...

The JEP-411 sounds scary. However nobody has yet seen the implementation of
JEP-411. Until that is available it is hard to estimate the amount of damage
JEP-411 is going to cause to NetBeans. The worst scenario is that no existing
Apache NetBeans 12.x version is about to start on JDK with JEP-411.

> What is the plan for this?

Make a noise. Vote against release of any JDK that would prevent last few
existing NetBeans releases to start/run. If that fails, stick with older JDK.
-jt