Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1997/07/12 07:03:53 UTC

htdocs/apache_pb.gif scrambled?

Perhaps I am crazy, but it looks to me like the htdocs/apache_pb.gif file
has been corrupted in the CVS tree somehow.

-Rasmus

Re: htdocs/apache_pb.gif scrambled?

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>.
On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > But both of these GIF files came from CVS.  Heck, they came as part of the
> > exact same checkout even.  One gets translated and the other doesn't?
>
> Ah..  Of course.  The htdocs version didn't get committed with -kb.  If
> you do a cvs status on both you will see this.

Haven't seen anything additional on this. The proper course of action, I
believe, would be to do a "cvs admin -kb apache_pb.gif", but only members
of the cvsadmin group can do that.

Also, we should binaryize the Windows-only text files, and give them DOS
line breaks. (the makefiles, README.NT) Ben mentioned this last week, but
it never happened.

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>

Re: htdocs/apache_pb.gif scrambled?

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server

Re: htdocs/apache_pb.gif scrambled?

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> Perhaps your version of cvs is too old.  If so, get a newer one.  Perhaps
> it is too new.  If so, get an older one.  Perhaps it is just right.  If
> so, it just doesn't like you.

I am using a 1.8.1 client on Solaris and a 1.9.8 client on Win95.

Ahem..  Ok, user error.  I had done a: cmp apache_pb.gif ../icons
expecting cmp to behave like diff and figure out that it should compare a
file by the same name.  The two files are the same on my Unix box.

On Win95 the htdocs version is 2331 bytes and the icons version is the
correct 2326 bytes.  A diff of the 'od -c' output from each is incredibly
enough clean.  Oh well, one never knows what this beast of an OS is doing.

> CVS isn't entirely friendly with binary files.  Check out exactly how the
> two differ to see if you can see anything obvious like bogus keyword
> substituion.  Try a checkout again.
>
> Are you using any of the -k options to cvs checkout?

Nope.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Perhaps your version of cvs is too old.  If so, get a newer one.  Perhaps
> it is too new.  If so, get an older one.  Perhaps it is just right.  If
> so, it just doesn't like you.

You been reading Dr. Seuss?

Anyhow, make sure that your diff and rcs are recent too... there is the
possibility that the file went in without the -kb option set though.

Dean

Re: htdocs/apache_pb.gif scrambled?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
The two files are the same for me, in a fresh checkout.  Using cvs 1.9.2
over ssh.

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.