Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by plee <pa...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/07 15:03:31 UTC

kar:install with mvn url

Hey guys,

I am using Karaf 3.0.0.  I can install a kar file just fine using
"kar:install file://<file_abs_path>".

However, when I try to install using mvn url, "kar:install

"Error executing command: String index out of range: -1"

When I take the "/kar" off the end, it takes the command but then wants to
find a jar with those mvn coordinates and errors out becomes the jar
artifact doesn't exist.

I can provide a stack trace if it helps.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks.

Re: kar:install with mvn url

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

I reproduced your issue. The problem is when the Kar service parse the
URL to try to determine the kar name (to display especially when you do
kar:list).

I'm fixing that: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-3150

Thanks for the report !

Regards
JB

On 08/07/2014 03:03 PM, plee wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am using Karaf 3.0.0.  I can install a kar file just fine using
> "kar:install file://<file_abs_path>".
>
> However, when I try to install using mvn url, "kar:install
>
> "Error executing command: String index out of range: -1"
>
> When I take the "/kar" off the end, it takes the command but then wants to
> find a jar with those mvn coordinates and errors out becomes the jar
> artifact doesn't exist.
>
> I can provide a stack trace if it helps.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: kar:install with mvn url

Posted by plee <pa...@gmail.com>.
My situation is pretty unusual, I'll do the best to simplify and describe
the issue..

My deployment process is as follows (simplified a bit to save from
explaining unnecessary details):
1) Karaf clean/start
2) Install multiple features
3) Karaf stop
4) Karaf start
5) Kar:install

These 4 steps work fine, my application is deployed and things are great.
 I noticed when I do a system reboot, after the system comes back up and I
check the karaf console, the bundles that were installed via kar are
invalid and/or corrupted.   I can't refresh them or even remove them. The
bundles from the feature installs are fine.

So after some trial and error there are some alternative scenarios that do
not result in invalid bundles:

Alternate 1 (Do not karaf stop&start before kar install):
1) Karaf clean/start
2) Install multiple features
3) Kar:install

Alternate 2 (Karaf stop after kar:install)
1) Karaf clean/start
2) Install multiple features
3) Karaf stop
4) Karaf start
5) Kar:install
6) Karaf stop

So in summary, the pattern is that if I don't do the karaf stop/start
before the kar, I'm fine.  If I do the karaf stop/start before the kar then
I also have to do a karaf stop after the kar.

Does this make any sense?  What is the significance of karaf stop/start in
relation to kar files?

My colleages mentioned something about obr resolver and start level issues.

Any insight is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Paul

Re: kar:install with mvn url

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Re: kar:install with mvn url

Posted by plee <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks JB.

Re: kar:install with mvn url

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

It sounds like a bug and I'm sure it worked.

Let me take a look on that.

Regards
JB

On 08/07/2014 03:03 PM, plee wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am using Karaf 3.0.0.  I can install a kar file just fine using
> "kar:install file://<file_abs_path>".
>
> However, when I try to install using mvn url, "kar:install
>
> "Error executing command: String index out of range: -1"
>
> When I take the "/kar" off the end, it takes the command but then wants to
> find a jar with those mvn coordinates and errors out becomes the jar
> artifact doesn't exist.
>
> I can provide a stack trace if it helps.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org