Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2015/11/21 12:50:02 UTC

[JXPATH] Java Version

Hi,

any preference on which Java Version JXPath 1.4 target? Currently the build
is set to 1.3. I've only Java 1.6, 1.7 1.8 and 1.9 installed on my machine,
so I won't be able to test with 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5. Further more I don't see
a reason to keep support for such old Java versions.

Thoughts?
Benedikt

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Java 7 seems OK to me, though if the code builds and test OK with Java
1.6, why not leave it at that?

Just because Java 1.6 is EOL does not mean that Java 1.6-compatible
code will stop working.

So long as the Java runtime used to run the code is updated to a
currently supported version of Java, that is enough to ensure that any
JVM bugs are fixed.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by James Ring <sj...@jdns.org>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

> > I've updated JXPATH to Java 7. There is a lot of work to update the code
> > base to use Java 7 languages features and APIs. I invite everybody to
> join
> > me here…
>
> Do you like to start these changes before or after the release 1.4?
> I prefer to create the release as soon as possible and start rework on
> that baseline.

I have already started to upgrade the code base.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Thomas Neidhart
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/2015 09:55 PM, Uwe Barthel wrote:
>>> I've updated JXPATH to Java 7. There is a lot of work to update the code
>>> base to use Java 7 languages features and APIs. I invite everybody to join
>>> me here…
>>
>> Do you like to start these changes before or after the release 1.4?
>> I prefer to create the release as soon as possible and start rework on that baseline.
>
> If the idea is to roll out a bugfix release that people are awaiting
> then I do not see the point in updating the minimum java version and
> changing the code to use new language / jdk features.
>
> This will just limit the use of the bugfix release, as not every
> application using it will have been upgraded already. Also, every change
> might introduce another problem, but this is up to the judgement of the
> maintainer(s).
>
> For the release afterwards (i.e. 1.5), I think it is fine to apply all
> the changes, and updating the minimum java version in minor releases is
> ok and has been done for other components already.

I really want to see JXPath get e.g. generics. That said, there is
wisdom in leaving that until after the immediate release. I don't have
the patience for acting as RM, but I think I'll have a few spare
cycles to work on upgrades. What does everyone think about creating a
branch for this work?

Matt

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
On 25 November 2015 at 09:29, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 24/11/2015 22:06, Thomas Neidhart a écrit :
>
>> If the idea is to roll out a bugfix release that people are awaiting
>> then I do not see the point in updating the minimum java version and
>> changing the code to use new language / jdk features.
>
> I agree with Thomas. Let's update the JDK for simplifying the release
> process, but updating the syntax now isn't necessary.

One simple addition you can do when moving to Java-7 is to add
java.lang.AutoCloseable to any relevant classes that are not already
java.io.Closeable, but still have resources that need to be cleaned
up. Then users can then use them in try-with-resources (and IDE's can
start warning about resource cleanups), even if the jxpath codebase
doesn't internally change from the previous try pattern to
try-with-resources immediately.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 24/11/2015 22:06, Thomas Neidhart a écrit :

> If the idea is to roll out a bugfix release that people are awaiting
> then I do not see the point in updating the minimum java version and
> changing the code to use new language / jdk features.

I agree with Thomas. Let's update the JDK for simplifying the release
process, but updating the syntax now isn't necessary.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
I think we should stick to the plan I outlined. I hope to have some time to
work in JXPATH this weekend. I'll also work on a VM for building JXPATH
with Java 4.

BR,
Benedikt

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Uwe Barthel <ba...@x-reizend.de>.
Hi,

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 9:27 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 November 2015 at 16:49, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> on
> >>>>

> >> Maybe my statement was a bit ambiguous. I'm fine with a Java version 1.6
> >> or 1.7 but would not wait until the code is overall refurbished.
> >

> > RERO! :-)
>
> Repent at leisure.
>

> >> The problem with JDK 1.4 is, that I don't have it on any machine. The
> >>>

> >> Unfortunately, same here.
> >

> > No longer supporting 1.4 is not a showstopper IMO. Bumping the JRE to 1.6
> > or 1.7 and releasing would be OK with me.
>
> Same here.
>
> However, since the code was written for 1.4, it won't have generics
> support.
>
> Do we want to release code which requires 1.5+ but which does not
> compile cleanly on 1.5+?
>
> It's quite a lot of work adding generics, and mistakes can be hard to
> correct without potentially causing compatibility issues.
>
> I don't think there is an easy solution here. However, unless the time
> can be put in to add generics properly, I think it would be better not
> to do so at all.
> In which case, change the Java version to the minimum that is easy to
> build/test, i.e. 1.6.
> This would be with the intention of doing another release before too
> long that fixes up generics etc.
> That could target 1.7.

+1

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Uwe Barthel <ba...@x-reizend.de>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

> On 11/24/2015 09:55 PM, Uwe Barthel wrote:
> >> I've updated JXPATH to Java 7. There is a lot of work to update the code
> >> base to use Java 7 languages features and APIs. I invite everybody to
> join
> >> me here…
> >
> > Do you like to start these changes before or after the release 1.4?
> > I prefer to create the release as soon as possible and start rework on
> that baseline.
>
> If the idea is to roll out a bugfix release that people are awaiting
> then I do not see the point in updating the minimum java version and
> changing the code to use new language / jdk features.

The problem with JDK 1.4 is, that I don't have it on any machine. The
oldest JDK you can get for Mac OS X to my knowledge is 1.6. I wouldn't want
to RM for a project when I can't test with the target JDK. If anybody knows
where to get a JDK 1.4 for Mac OS, that would be very much appreciated.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Uwe Barthel <ba...@x-reizend.de>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 22/11/2015 15:06, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
> I'm fine with Java 7, since Java 6 has already reached EOL.

The free of charge Oracle Java 6 is EOL, but this isn't the only Java 6
distributions. OpenJDK 6 is still maintained by RedHat [1] and is
commonly used on servers. On Debian OpenJDK 6 is still installed on 35%
of the machines with OpenJDK [2].

On the desktop side the figures are quite different. On the application
I maintain I observe that Java 8 dominates around 75%. Java 6 is around
17%, mostly due to OS X users not upgrading the Apple Java to the more
recent Oracle Java.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk6/jdk6/jdk/
[2]
https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=openjdk-6-jre-headless+openjdk-7-jre-headless+openjdk-8-jre-headless&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I'd go with Java 7.

Re: [JXPATH] Java Version

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Uwe,

> Java 1.6 would be old enough I think.
>
> But, JXPath doesn't follow the three digit version schema.
> So any change of Java dependency may should force a major change.

Are you referring to SemVer here? I'm not sure it contains any rules about
changes to the platform a component is running on. From an API PoV we won't
break anything.

> How will it handled in other Commons with projects two digit version
> schema?

Usually only have three digit versions when we release a bugfix. So we
start with for example 1.0, then release 1.1 and 1.2 and if we need to
bugfix 1.2 that will become 1.2.1. Maybe it would be better to have three
digit versions all the way around.

> Maybe should be used: http://www.mojohaus.org/animal-sniffer/

Doesn't work with Java < 1.5 :-(

Benedikt