Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com> on 2017/12/08 18:51:10 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Sentry 2.0.0 released

The Apache Sentry team is happy to announce the release of version 2.0.0.
Apache Sentry is a system to enforce fine grained role based authorization
to data and metadata stored on a Hadoop cluster.

The release bits are available at:
http://sentry.apache.org/general/downloads.html

Sentry 2.0.0 Release Notes are available here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12314720&version=12341081

We would like to thank all contributors who made the release possible.

Regards,
Sentry team

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Sentry 2.0.0 released

Posted by Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com>.
Hey An,

Upgrading Hive on Spark is more a question for the Spark community. They
forked Hive 1.2 and created their own hive-spark repo due to some
incompatibilities with Hive 2.x.

In regards to Sentry, it will be hard to support Spark 2.2.1 which bundles
Hive 1.2 because Sentry 2.0 requires the use of HMS log notifications and
other new Hive authorization API which is fully available and with a bunch
of bug fixes on newer versions of Hive 2.x. Unless Spark decides to
cherry-pick those commits from Hive 2.x to their bundled Hive 1.2, then it
might work.

I wish I could help you set up a Sentry with Spark 2.2, but feel free to
open a Jira if you think Sentry is blocking Spark for some reason (or a
Jira in Spark to request an upgrade of Hive versions to 2.3).

- Sergio

Posted by An Qin <aq...@qilinsoft.com>.

Posted by Mat Crocker <ma...@cloudera.com>.
Well done Kalyan !