Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net> on 2004/06/15 17:29:18 UTC

[OT] cvs guru wanted

Hi,
does somebody know if its possible to move a file from one dir to another without loosing the history?

thanks, Guenter.

Re: [OT] cvs guru wanted

Posted by Henning Brauer <hb...@bsws.de>.
copying it in the repository should actually just work - I don't
remember any extra steps for moving something to a different dir

* Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net> [2004-06-15 17:45]:
> Hi,
> does somebody know if its possible to move a file from one dir to another without loosing the history?
>
> thanks, Guenter.

hb@bsws.de - henning@openbsd.org
(Dennis Ritchie)

Re: [OT] cvs guru wanted

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 10:29, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Hi,
> does somebody know if its possible to move a file from one dir to
> another without loosing the history?

With CVS, you must have an administrator hand-move the RCS file in the
repository.  (Of course, then nothing records the fact that the file
ever existed elsewhere.)

Or, you could use Subversion, which tracks copies and moves.  :-)

Re: [OT] cvs guru wanted

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 11:51 AM 6/15/2004, Sascha Schumann wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Guenter Knauf wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> does somebody know if its possible to move a file from one dir
>> to another without loosing the history?
>
>    It usually boils down to this:
>
>    1. Copy the ,v file in the repository to the new location
>    2. Use "cvs delete" on the old location
>
>    This method preserves the history and tag/branch information.

Usually, you would also dump the release tags from the new copy, since
you wouldn't want it checked out from it's *new* home on some checkout
of PROD_1_0_1_RELEASE.  Historical checkouts by date would have the
duplicate file, which is why this isn't usually recommended practice.

Bill

Re: [OT] cvs guru wanted

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Guenter Knauf wrote:

> Hi,
> does somebody know if its possible to move a file from one dir
> to another without loosing the history?

    It usually boils down to this:

    1. Copy the ,v file in the repository to the new location
    2. Use "cvs delete" on the old location

    This method preserves the history and tag/branch information.

    - Sascha