Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2019/06/17 12:25:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move to JDK 11 (LTS) after 4.13

All,

JDK 8 (lts) has already reached EOL and we're dependent on distro/maintainers and the next available LTS jdk is JDK 11.

Here's the proposal:

- Use JDK8 for building 4.13 and let users decide if they want to run/use JDK8 (jre) or JDK 11 (jre) for cloudstack management/usage/agent services, the systemvm will still have JDK 8 jre

- After 4.13 master is unfrozen, we fix the pom.xml to enforce that JDK 11 is used to build master

- New systemvmtemplate is created using the next/upcoming Debian 10 (https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/06/msg00003.html) release and use latest/stable kernel (in Debian 10) and use JDK 11

- Experimental proposal: with 4.14+debian 10 based systemvmtemplate we do not bundle JRE within the systemvmtemplate but using jlink (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/tools/jlink.htm) create a systemvm.iso that has a lightweight JRE embeded for use with the ssvm/cpvm agent. The systemvmtemplate has about 100-200 MBs consumed due to the JRE installation which is only necessary to run cpvm/ssvm agent but adds dead weight/storage-size for VRs. If the jlink embedded jre concept works, it will also work in our favour and reduce security impact, i.e. in case of a future java related security issue we can simply create a new release (with latest systemvm.iso and embedded jre) without requiring us to release a new systemvmtemplate.

Thoughts, ideas, questions?

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue

https://www.shapeblue.com

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to JDK 11 (LTS) after 4.13

Posted by Sven Vogel <S....@ewerk.com>.
I think what you say Rohit sounds good. Let’s say after 4.13

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

__

Sven Vogel
Teamlead Platform

EWERK RZ GmbH
Brühl 24, D-04109 Leipzig
P +49 341 42649 - 11
F +49 341 42649 - 18
S.Vogel@ewerk.com
www.ewerk.com

Geschäftsführer:
Dr. Erik Wende, Hendrik Schubert, Frank Richter
Registergericht: Leipzig HRB 17023

Zertifiziert nach:
ISO/IEC 27001:2013
DIN EN ISO 9001:2015
DIN ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011

EWERK-Blog | LinkedIn | Xing | Twitter | Facebook

Auskünfte und Angebote per Mail sind freibleibend und unverbindlich.

Disclaimer Privacy:
Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt. Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system. Thank you.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1 for upgrading after 4.13.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--