Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Himanshu <g....@gmail.com> on 2015/12/15 05:48:00 UTC

[Proposal] simple expression language in commons-math

Hi,

Recently I needed to embed support for simple math expressions in my
project. Example grammar is...

expr : ('-'|'!') expr
     | expr '^' expr
     | expr ('*'|'/'|'%') expr
     | expr ('+'|'-') expr
     | expr ('<'|'<='|'>'|'>='|'=='|'!=') expr
     | '(' expr  ')'
     | ID
     | DOUBLE
     | LONG
     ;

with basic math functions like sqrt supported in the expressions. I thought
such expression language would be available in commons-math, but it is not
(please correct me if I am wrong).

I am working on it already for my project and would love to contribute to
commons-math. Just wondering, How likely is commons community ready to
accept same?

-- Himanshu

Re: [Proposal] simple expression language in commons-math

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
This seems out of scope to me; especially since Java has built-in support
for JavaScript and any and all languages that support the Java scripting
API.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com