Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2012/11/16 07:41:20 UTC

Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

On the heels of the planned 0.23.5 release (thanks Bobby & Thomas) I want to rollout a hadoop-2.0.3 release to reflect the growing stability of YARN.

I'm hoping we can also release the QJM along-with; hence I'd love to know an ETA - Todd? Sanjay? Suresh?

One other thing which would be nice henceforth is to better reflect release content for end-users in release-notes etc.; thus, can I ask committers to start paying closer attention to bug classification such as Blocker/Critical/Major/Minor etc.? This way, as we get closer to stable hadoop-2 releases, we can do a better job communicating content and it's criticality.

thanks,
Arun

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Here's a git branch with the backported changes in case anyone has time to
take a look this weekend:

https://github.com/toddlipcon/hadoop-common/tree/branch-2-QJM

There were a few conflicts due to patches committed in different orders,
and I had to pull in a couple other JIRAs along the way, but it is passing
its tests. If it looks good I'll start putting up the patches on JIRA and
committing next week.

-Todd

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by lohit <lo...@gmail.com>.

--
Have a Nice Day!
Lohit

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
We really need https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4805 too.
The history server is completely useless without it.

--Bobby

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Alejandro

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Agreed, I was about to point this out.

What else is on HDFS of this nature?

Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
I want to explicitly point out that the backward compatibility that is
being brought up here is related to APIs alone. I am fine with that as long
as it is for the APIs exposed to the users/applications. Incompatible API
changes, if necessary, among the daemons in Hadoop should be allowed. Also
if the wire protocols need an incompatible change, we should be able to
make those changes post beta. As long this is possible, I am okay with
dropping alpha from the name tag.

As regards some comments about dropping alpha is justified because we have
had two minor releases, I want to point out that the current release is
made of parts that are baked for long time and parts that are relatively
new. Some examples in HDFS, functionality such as Quorum journal Manager
and libwebhdfs etc. It would have been good to have a way to mark features
like that with alpha tag. How do we want to handle such content?

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Arun,

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>  Feel free to watch the blocker list:
>  http://s.apache.org/e1J

I notice that query doesn't include "2.0.3-alpha"  in the "affected
version" or "target version" fields. You should probably add it to get the
complete list of blockers for 2.0.3-alpha. For example, that query didn't
include HADOOP-9070 which I just stumbled across and is marked as a blocker
for 2.0.3-alpha.

--
Aaron T. Myers

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
OK, QJM is now in branch-2. I also merged all the follow-up patches I
could find so that branch-2 and trunk should be equivalent with regard
to QJM functionality at this point. If anyone sees anything I missed,
feel free to give me a holler.

Thanks
Todd

Posted by Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Todd!

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Arun,

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Lohit,

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM, lohit <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Hadoop Release managers,
> Any update on this?

To pile on (and hopefully revive the old thread):

Is there any chance that Hadoop 2.0.3 can
be pushed out before the end of the year?

Also, based on the experience of working on Bigtop 0.5.0
it feels that these 2 blockers need to be addressed
in 2.0.3. Especially if there's a desire to drop the
-alpha postfix.

The way it stands -- Oozie is pretty much 90% broken
on top of Hadoop 2.0.2+

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by lohit <lo...@gmail.com>.

--
Have a Nice Day!
Lohit

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for the API changes. We need to be careful about back-compat but at the
same time the API's are the core of YARN and there seem to be some issues
around it.

Bikas

Posted by Siddharth Seth <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 03:11PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Hi Arun,
>
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> > Happy new year folks!
> >
> > I'm glad to see that we are down to the last couple of blockers I hope we can resolve in the next 24-hrs or so.
> >
> > Once done, I'll create a branch-2.0.3-alpha to unblock branch-2
> > for commits targeted towards the next release, create the new fix-versions in jira and spin the RC.
>
> Quick question -- when do you think you can have the
> branch-2.0.3-alpha in place?
>
> We'd *really* like to start testing it in Bigtop ASAP (Bigtop 0.6.0 is
> supposed to be
> based on Hadoop 2.0.3) so we can avoid integration issues like we had between
> 2.0.2 and Oozie.

Oozie is hardcoded to be build against 2.0.2-alpha, so there would be
integration issues nonetheless (see BIGTOP-837)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1 - that'd be critical.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I believe we can disregard MAPREDUCE-4820 since MAPREDUCE-4549 is already in branch-2. FYI.

Arun, that very well may be the case -- let me take a closer look and
report back (on the JIRA).

Also, any chance you could comment on when the branch can be cut?
It would make verification of things MAPREDUCE-4820 so much easier.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun,

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
I'd like to get in 2.0.3 the JIRAs that enable pluggable shuffle and
pluggable sort: MAPREDUCE-4049, MAPREDUCE-4809, MAPREDUCE-4807 &
MAPREDUCE-4808

Unless I hear otherwise, I'd be merging those commits in branch-2 tomorrow
mid afternoon PST.

Thx

--
Alejandro

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Arun,

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Happy new year folks!

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

RE: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by Heather Bales <hb...@ncsoft.com>.
I have not a clue how I got on this thread...It is all very interesting, but please take me off.

Heather Bales ☺
CRM Manager - Digital Marketing
NCSOFT
(W)206-588-7268  (C)206-790-2665
hbales@ncsoft.com | http://us.ncsoft.com
1501 Fourth Ave. 20th Floor Seattle, WA 98101

Thanks a lot, and have a happy holidays.

Aaron

insert and update data

Posted by Prabakaran Krishnan <pr...@yahoo.in>.

Hi
How to insert and update data in hadoop? Could you please explain me...

Thanks
Prabakara Krishnan

________________________________

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.
On 19 December 2012 11:26, Prabakaran Krishnan <pr...@yahoo.in>wrote:

> Hi
> How to insert and update datin hadoop? Could you please explain me...
>
> Thanks
> Prabakara Krishnan

1. please don't steal ongoing threads for asking questions
2. this is the kind of question to ask on the user@hadoop list. Please
subscribe to that and ask your question there.
3. Hadoop HDFS is a fileystem without seek, only append. Database layers on
top, e.g. HBase, do offer such services.

Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--