Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by David Hajek <ha...@idoox.com> on 2001/08/08 23:52:44 UTC

Cookie-less session management

Hello,

I would like to use some sort of session management on my
site. I do not like cookie based solution, since not all
clients support cookies. I like the URL rewriting (mangling)
technique. So I'd like to rewrite each url in my site to
something like:

http://mysite.com/session-id/somedir/index.html

It will be nice to perform this task without some change
to the page source. (like url escaping with some commands).

My idea is to make all mysite links relative and just
add session-id to the begining. When the link is absolute,
I will not add session-id.

Is it possible to do this with embperl?

P.S. Please, cc to my address, since I am not subscribed to
     the list.

--
David Hajek
hajek@idoox.com                	     GSM: +420 604 352968

Re: Cookie-less session management

Posted by Dimitri Ostapenko <d...@perlnow.com>.
David Hajek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to use some sort of session management on my
> site. I do not like cookie based solution, since not all
> clients support cookies. I like the URL rewriting (mangling)
> technique. So I'd like to rewrite each url in my site to
> something like:
>
> http://mysite.com/session-id/somedir/index.html
>
> It will be nice to perform this task without some change
> to the page source. (like url escaping with some commands).
>
> My idea is to make all mysite links relative and just
> add session-id to the begining. When the link is absolute,
> I will not add session-id.
>
> Is it possible to do this with embperl?
>
> P.S. Please, cc to my address, since I am not subscribed to
>      the list.
>
> --
> David Hajek
> hajek@idoox.com                      GSM: +420 604 352968
> - Every program is a part of some other program, and rarely fits.

You might want to check out mod_ticket apache module by Justin Wells.
Session id is embedded into URL.

See examples of how it's used at www.adviceforinvestors.com

Dimitri Ostapenko
Perl/Internet

Re: Cookie-less session management

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> > Embperl 1.3.4 will support this, it's under developement at the moment.
>
> is there something to test available?
>
> perhaps i could abet you finding those nasty little insects ;)

Apache::SessionX is available for testing. That fixes some seesion problems
and should ease configuration. The cookie-less session management is still
in a state, that I have to work on first ...

Gerald

Re: Cookie-less session management

Posted by Thoren Johne <th...@southern-division.com>.
"Gerald Richter" <ri...@ecos.de> writes:

> > My idea is to make all mysite links relative and just
> > add session-id to the begining. When the link is absolute,
> > I will not add session-id.
> >
> > Is it possible to do this with embperl?
> >

> Embperl 1.3.4 will support this, it's under developement at the moment.

is there something to test available?

perhaps i could abet you finding those nasty little insects ;)

--
# Thoren Johne - 8#X - thoren@southern-division.com
# Southern Division Classic Bikes - www.southern-division.com

Re: Cookie-less session management

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> I would like to use some sort of session management on my
> site. I do not like cookie based solution, since not all
> clients support cookies. I like the URL rewriting (mangling)
> technique. So I'd like to rewrite each url in my site to
> something like:
>
> http://mysite.com/session-id/somedir/index.html
>
> It will be nice to perform this task without some change
> to the page source. (like url escaping with some commands).
>
> My idea is to make all mysite links relative and just
> add session-id to the begining. When the link is absolute,
> I will not add session-id.
>
> Is it possible to do this with embperl?

Embperl 1.3.4 will support this, it's under developement at the moment.
Embperl 1.3.3 only supports session with cookies

Gerald