Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/21 10:23:10 UTC

[TRINIDAD] Portlet 2.0 compatibility

Hey everyone,

I completed a migration to Trinidad to allow it to work with either
Portlet 1.0 or Portlet 2.0.  Portlet 2.0 containers will support AJAX.

So here is my problem.  In order to support extra functionality of
Portlet 2.0, I need to compile against a Portlet 2.0 container.  Most of
the code does a graceful fallback at runtime, but Trinidad has a number
of custom wrapper objects that we were using for Portlet 1.0 which
implement the Portlet Request/Response objects.  Portlet 2.0 extends
these objects and on some methods returns a ResourceURL which is a class
that didn't exist in Portlet 1.0.

To make a long story short, in order for us to support both Portal
containers we'll need these wrappers to be compiled using Portlet 1.0
while the rest of the code in Trinidad needs to be compiled using
Portlet 2.0.

As such I think we have several options for handling this:

1. Force someone to add an extra jar as a "portlet compatibility
layer".  We would have 1 jar for portlet 1.0 compatibility and another
for portlet 2.0 compatibility.  Then, you just include the proper
portlet compatibility jar and you're off.

2. We could support portlet 2.0 out of the box and force portlet 1.0
compatibility to use a special jar.  This would mean that only 1.0
containers would need the extra jar to be added to their web-inf.lib.

It is a LOT harder to support portlet 1.0 by default and add a jar for
portlet 2.0 because of the way the architecture works.  Possible, but hard.

Please let me know if either of these options sounds acceptable for
Trinidad...

Scott

Re: [TRINIDAD] Portlet 2.0 compatibility

Posted by michael freedman <mi...@oracle.com>.
The TrinidadDemo that is included in TrinidadExample distribution
download on the MyFaces/Trinidad site runs against the current version
of the Portlet 2.0 bridge.  There are some problems -- mostly related to
lack of Trinidad pop-up support in the portlet environment which the
example relies on a bit and seemingly some issue related to the use of a
simple portlet standard set of stylesheet classes but in all you should
get what you want.
  -Mike-

Posted by Hiren Sheth <hs...@sperianprotection.com>.
Hi

Posted by Kito Mann <ki...@virtua.com>.
2009/4/21 Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>

> Yes I agree Matthias.  Anyone else have a contrary opinion?

I agree as well.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

--