Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Απόστολος Συρόπουλος <as...@hotmail.com> on 2016/08/06 19:35:53 UTC

ΑΠ: Merge with LibreOffice?

>> Greetings, dear AOO community.
>>
>> Please note first that this message is not supposed to be flaimbait or
>> trolling of any kind.
>
>It is. Have a nice day.

Well it is not! I am Solaris user and sometime ago I tried to compile OpenOffice, when
in fact it should compile on Solaris out-of-the-box... I asked the core developers
to drop support for SunStudio since it assumes one compiles with a version that
shipped with Solaris 9 (the current version of Solaris is 11 and Solaris 9 was eoled a
few years ago...) and it does not compile even with recent versions of SunStudio.
And when I managed to compile everything, I had noticed that OpenOffice could
not open docx and othe zipped document formats. The people of LibreOffice
asked me to incorporate my patches to their source tree (I had of course no
objection). Now LibreOffice compiles just fine under Solaris and there are packages
for all variants of Solaris including the Open version. In a nutshell, some people
listen and care about any user while some others just don't give a dime...

Regards,
A.S.

Re: Merge with LibreOffice?

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 2:38 PM, toki <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/08/2016 16:26, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
> > The question I am left with is this: If a cousin development provides
> what you want, why are you not satisfied with that?
>
> There are functions and capabilities in AOo that are not in LibO or EO.
> There are functions and capabilities in EO that are not in LibO or AOo.
> There are functions and capabilities in LibO that are not in AOo or EO.
>
> As such, until one of those contains all of the functions and
> capabilities found in the other two, there will always be users whose
> use case will require at least two, if not all three be installed.

I can't speak for what power users there may be out there, but I suspect I
personally am much more likely to pick one and then defend my decision to
the death, even if it means adjusting my usage pattern to fit.  My criteria
may be financial, or functional, or even socio-political, but whichever it
is, it's enough of an effort to change my word processor AND my mind that
it's not likely to happen on a casual basis, much less a day-to-day one.

Don

Re: Merge with LibreOffice?

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 31/08/2016 16:26, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> The question I am left with is this: If a cousin development provides what you want, why are you not satisfied with that?

There are functions and capabilities in AOo that are not in LibO or EO.
There are functions and capabilities in EO that are not in LibO or AOo.
There are functions and capabilities in LibO that are not in AOo or EO.

As such, until one of those contains all of the functions and
capabilities found in the other two, there will always be users whose
use case will require at least two, if not all three be installed.

jonathon

RE: Merge with LibreOffice?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[orcmid]

The Apache OpenOffice project does not have the capacity for what you are able to find elsewhere.

As you know, the Apache OpenOffice project has never provided a Solaris distribution, although there were folks who managed to build one themselves.

The same goes for OS/2, although OS/2 patches are contributed back upstream.

There are probably other efforts that we simply don't know about.

The question I am left with is this: If a cousin development provides what you want, why are you not satisfied with that?

 - Dennis