Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ferran Parra <fe...@mubimedia.com> on 2002/09/05 18:20:34 UTC

SAP DB

Hi is the SAP DB open source database a good DBMS?? why not is popular than mysql??
thanks
Ferran Parra
ferran_p@mubimedia.com
http://www.mubimedia.com
MUBIMEDIA S.L.
C/ Mallorca, 275, 1r 2a 08008 BCN
Tel: 93 215 21 91 / Fax: 93 215 41 21

Re: SAP DB

Posted by Arron Bates <st...@keyboardmonkey.com>.
SAPDB is simply awesome.

I've been ramping up a personal project which needs a complete DB
arsenal, and I was worried until I met SAPDB. MySQL slows for inserts
hand has a lack of SQL support. PostgreSQL has more SQL but it's slower.
Both have issues over page size, data limitations.

SAPDB... I went to the site, filled out some details and they mailed me
the CD for free (that's Germany to Australia, for free). It's easy to
install and comes with enough tools to rival Oracle out of the box. On
the CD is all the implementations for all platforms (Win, Linux and all
them unix's)

Data limitations... is a 2GB long varchar a limitation?...

Docco is also excellent. Including a document which mentions all the
Oracle SQL syntax and if it supports it or not, and if it does but in a
different way.

The database is amazing, and I have no idea why more people aren't using
it.

You can download whatever you want, but my modem has a hard time of the
45MB or so. Just get the CD.

I take my hat off to SAP for opening it up with the realisation that
it's not where their money comes from. I'm converted. Every time I play
and dig deeper I'm impressed all over. Comes with a little web server
for web based administration.

You wont be disappointed.

Arron.

Re: SAP DB

Posted by Arron Bates <st...@keyboardmonkey.com>.
On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 08:35, John Nicholas wrote:
> Ferran Parra wrote:
> > Hi is the SAP DB open source database a good DBMS?? why not is popular than mysql??
> > thanks
> > Ferran Parra
> > ferran_p@mubimedia.com
> > http://www.mubimedia.com
> > MUBIMEDIA S.L.
> > C/ Mallorca, 275, 1r 2a 08008 BCN
> > Tel: 93 215 21 91 / Fax: 93 215 41 21
> >

> 1) hasn't been open as long
> 2) mysql is "good enough" for most people
> 3) reputation for being difficult to install
> 4) more people know mysql so it's easier to get help if you get stuck
>
> John

1) Since Oct 2000. Has been around for a very long time as a commercial
enterprise database.
2) Why settle for "good enough" when something which rivals Oracle's
feature-set is available.
3) Specify three directories prompted by a script is not hard.
4) Hard to dispute that one. However I had linux issue, got to the
bottom of it with lengthy mail list archives. there's an example script
in the install which build a frsh databse, creates uses & tables, and
another to drop the entire instance. There's more than enough there to
play with.

Some more $0.02

Re: SAP DB

Posted by John Nicholas <ja...@mobosplash.com>.

RE: SAP DB

Posted by Ravi Kora <rk...@1bigthink.com>.
Hi,
I am also interested in Comments about this question. I am working on
SAP DB right now and feel it is very good for my needs. I never worked
on MySql to compare both of them.

-Ravi