Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James French <Ja...@naturalmotion.com> on 2011/11/22 18:30:45 UTC

Sparse branches

Hi,

I understand sparse checkouts but is there a recommended way of doing 'sparse branches'? Often projects need to be farmed out to a release branch and then deleted from the main trunk (to save space). It is then necessary to do the inverse on the new branch ie delete all the projects that are not necessary on the branch (obviously its not necessary but its nicer for performance and disk space).

Is this the only way of doing it or is it possible to be cleverer with the copy so that only the minimum is copied in the first place? Could a simple merge relationship be maintained if the project was not deleted from the trunk? (I worry about mergeinfo...)

Cheers,
James

Re: Sparse branches

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM, James French
<Ja...@naturalmotion.com> wrote:

> I understand sparse checkouts but is there a recommended way of doing
> ‘sparse branches’? Often projects need to be farmed out to a release branch
> and then deleted from the main trunk (to save space). It is then necessary
> to do the inverse on the new branch ie delete all the projects that are not
> necessary on the branch (obviously its not necessary but its nicer for
> performance and disk space).

Maybe you should move the trunk/branches/tags under each project
instead of combining things under the same trunk.  If you need to pull
components from several projects back together you can always do it
with externals.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com