Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "James B. Millard" <jb...@jbmballistics.com> on 2012/12/15 23:18:39 UTC

Boolean in version 10.9

I've been using derby on windows for a few weeks and decided to move my
development to Linux (Fedora 14).

I have database creation scripts that I'm trying to run but I'm getting the
following error:

ij> CREATE TABLE COMPONENT_PROPERTIES
        ( ID INTEGER NOT NULL GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY (START WITH 1,
INCREMENT BY 1),
	  COMPONENT_CLASS 	VARCHAR(48),
	  PROPERTY_SHORT_NAME 	VARCHAR(48),
	  PROPERTY_LONG_NAME 	VARCHAR(64),
	  PROPERTY_CLASS 	VARCHAR(48),
	  PROPERTY_FORMAT_CLASS VARCHAR(48),
	  PROPERTY_FORMAT_DATA  VARCHAR(48),
	  PROPERTY_READ_ONLY 	BOOLEAN,
	  PROPERTY_EDIT_CREATE 	BOOLEAN,
	  PROPERTY_PERIOD 	BOOLEAN,
	  PROPERTY_TO_DATE 	BOOLEAN,
	  PROPERTY_DISPLAY 	BOOLEAN,
	  PROPERTY_CATEGORY 	VARCHAR(16) );
ERROR XCL47: Use of 'BOOLEAN' requires database to be upgraded from version
10.5 to version 10.7 or later.

This seems odd since I'm running 10.9 and these same scripts worked under
Windows with the same version of derby.

Here's what I see when I start ij:

[jbm@hk sql]$ ij
ij version 10.9
ij>

Thanks!

Brad

Re: Boolean in version 10.9

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
> I've checked my computer and couldn't find another version of derby
> installed anywhere.

The 'sysinfo' tool can be useful for figuring out which copy of Derby
is getting run, and from what location:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.9/tools/rtoolssysinfo41288.html

thanks,

bryan

Re: Boolean in version 10.9

Posted by Mo Maison <mo...@yahoo.fr>.
Remember also that Oracle JDK bundles a derby release ;
you may have used this one by mistake ?

RE: Boolean in version 10.9

Posted by "John I. Moore, Jr." <so...@att.net>.
James,

I did this about a year ago.  See http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.7/devguide/tdevupgradedb.html
for more information on how to upgrade the database.

John I. Moore, Jr.
SoftMoore Consulting

email:  jmoore@softmoore.com
web:    www.softmoore.com

Re: Boolean in version 10.9

Re: Boolean in version 10.9

Posted by Witold Szczerba <pl...@gmail.com>.
The error message suggest your database, I mean database files, were
created using 10.5 version. If you were using database engine version
10.5 right now, where would it know about the Boolean in 10.7 version
from?
Upgrade the database or drop and create it from scratch.

Regards,
Witold Szczerba

Re: Boolean in version 10.9

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 12/15/12 2:18 PM, James B. Millard wrote:
> I've been using derby on windows for a few weeks and decided to move my
> development to Linux (Fedora 14).
>
> I have database creation scripts that I'm trying to run but I'm getting the
> following error:
>
> ij>  CREATE TABLE COMPONENT_PROPERTIES
>          ( ID INTEGER NOT NULL GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY (START WITH 1,
> INCREMENT BY 1),
> 	  COMPONENT_CLASS 	VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_SHORT_NAME 	VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_LONG_NAME 	VARCHAR(64),
> 	  PROPERTY_CLASS 	VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_FORMAT_CLASS VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_FORMAT_DATA  VARCHAR(48),
> 	  PROPERTY_READ_ONLY 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_EDIT_CREATE 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_PERIOD 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_TO_DATE 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_DISPLAY 	BOOLEAN,
> 	  PROPERTY_CATEGORY 	VARCHAR(16) );
> ERROR XCL47: Use of 'BOOLEAN' requires database to be upgraded from version
> 10.5 to version 10.7 or later.
>
> This seems odd since I'm running 10.9 and these same scripts worked under
> Windows with the same version of derby.
>
> Here's what I see when I start ij:
>
> [jbm@hk sql]$ ij
> ij version 10.9
> ij>
That diagnostic message tells you what version of the Derby software is
being run against your database. However, your database may have been
created by an earlier version of the Derby software. Unless you
explicitly hard-upgrade the database, it remains at the version of the
Derby software which created it. You may need to hard-upgrade the
database to version 10.9. The following ij command will show the
database version:

values syscs_util.syscs_get_database_property( 'DataDictionaryVersion' );

Hard-upgrade is described in the section titled "Upgrading a database"
in the Derby Developer's Guide:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.9/devguide/index.html

Hope this helps,
-Rick