Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com> on 2006/03/20 20:05:41 UTC

[VOTE] APR-Util 1.2.5

Tarballs of APR-Util 1.2.5 are available for testing & voting from:

http://people.apache.org/~pquerna/dev/apr-util-1.2.5/

Re: [VOTE] APR-Util 1.2.5

Posted by Brad Nicholes <BN...@novell.com>.
Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com> wrote:
> Tarballs of APR-Util 1.2.5 are available for testing & voting from:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~pquerna/dev/apr-util-1.2.5

+1 NetWare

Re: [VOTE] APR-Util 1.2.5

Posted by Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <ws...@apple.com>.
On Mar 21, 2006, at 1:15 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> Feel free to take a guess as to whether your vote will influence mine
>> in the least.  =)  -- justin
>
> Oh of course - it's a pretty meager -1, and I didn't plan to bring
> it up until
> I saw a strong reason for a -1 on apr :)  And I'm certainly not
> worried about
> influencing anyone who don't contribute to the code base - but I am
> concerned
> about trying to find common ground for the progress of those
> developers who
> find their code stalled for want of a new release.  I am trying to
> communicate
> what are issues, even if those issues are ignored 8 hours later.
> Even when we
> disagree, I respect the opinions of all active committers.

   I would posit that not having a fix you wish it would have is not
a compelling reason to oppose a release, unless it's a regression
from past releases.  Releases shouldn't get progressively worse, but
"not better enough" shouldn't be a blocker for a new release.

> Of course I'm tempted to +1 1.2.5, giving darwin the respect it
> deserves (in
> consideration of the respect that other platforms are given in this
> community).
> But that would be petty ;-)

   On that basis, yes, I suppose it would.

	-wsv

Re: [VOTE] APR-Util 1.2.5

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Feel free to take a guess as to whether your vote will influence mine
> in the least.  =)  -- justin

Oh of course - it's a pretty meager -1, and I didn't plan to bring it up until
I saw a strong reason for a -1 on apr :)  And I'm certainly not worried about
influencing anyone who don't contribute to the code base - but I am concerned
about trying to find common ground for the progress of those developers who
find their code stalled for want of a new release.  I am trying to communicate
what are issues, even if those issues are ignored 8 hours later.  Even when we
disagree, I respect the opinions of all active committers.

I'm simply out-of-sync with the the other active folks in terms of correctness,
of expecting apr to be 'bug free' on modern OS's.  That's cool - of course
I'm welcome to continue to run my own private apr, and continue to express
my personal opinion of yet another half baked 2.next release.  APR is still
incredibly useful code even with the rough edges, and it's always improving.

But I still have hope that there is a happy medium of encouraging lots of
creative work and also having correct code.  Which is why the Monday morning
tarballs didn't bug me much - just figured it would be 2.2.2 before something
useful was released, and yet we would have some fresh bug reports to work from
and continue to make apr, and httpd, better.  And I had simply decided not to
vote + or -, unless someone else strongly believed in a showstopper such as
Garrett raised tonight.

Of course I'm tempted to +1 1.2.5, giving darwin the respect it deserves (in
consideration of the respect that other platforms are given in this community).
But that would be petty ;-)

Bill

Re: [VOTE] APR-Util 1.2.5

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 3/20/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> According to xml/expat/lib/xml.dsp, this is 1.95.1.  In fact this code
> is 1.95.2, inspecting the configure.in.  This is not a new problem, but
> merits a -1 in my book.

Uh, well, sure, but this has been the case since APR-util 0.9.4 (at
least) and 1.0.0.

Re: [VOTE] APR-Util 1.2.5

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Paul Querna wrote:
> Tarballs of APR-Util 1.2.5 are available for testing & voting from:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~pquerna/dev/apr-util-1.2.5/

According to xml/expat/lib/xml.dsp, this is 1.95.1.  In fact this code
is 1.95.2, inspecting the configure.in.  This is not a new problem, but
merits a -1 in my book.

I've posted some ideas on handling the version tags as part of the
buildconf.sh process and was hoping for some feedback to that thread,
before I hacked it up.

Bill