Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Wilson Wayne - wwilso <Wa...@acxiom.com> on 2012/05/08 00:10:17 UTC

Hadoop in Eclipse

I'm new to Hadoop and am trying to get it setup in Eclipse.  I'm following the "Working with Hadoop under Eclipse" wiki to do this.  First let me make sure this will do what I am hoping it will do.  I'm not so much interested in modifying the Hadoop code itself (although I may in the not too distant future).  I'm more looking to be able to code and test mappers and reducers in Eclipse and leverage the debugging and other tools in Eclipse in that process.  If that's not what the wiki is describing than let me know that and ignore my issue.  If there is a way to do this, would you please point me to where I can find the instructions.  If this is what the wiki is describing than I have an issue I need help with.

I've followed the directions on the Wiki and even worked through a couple of issues by searching the archive.  However, now I've hit an error that while I did find it in the archive, the fix that was presented is not fixing my issue.  After importing all the projects, I get a build error: "Project 'MapReduceTools' is missing required library: 'lib/hadoop-core.jar'".  I've added the M2_REPO variable as someone suggested in the archive where I found this error once.  That hasn't fixed or even changed the error.  I've looked in my maven repository (c:\Users\wwilso\.m2\repository) and there is not a "Hadoop-core.jar" anywhere in the repository that windows explorer can find.  In fact, windows explorer can't find a "Hadoop-core.jar" anywhere on my c:\ drive.

I did my build using the directions from the wiki (got source using git in cygwin and then executing the two maven commands in cywgin).  I did use the patch for the "scripts/saveVersion.sh" not found error to resolve that issue.  That's the only thing I have changed from the wiki or code.  Using Maven-3.0.4, ant-1.8.3, and protobuf-2.4.1.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

WAYNE WILSON
Product Technical Consultant
Acxiom Corporation
EML   wayne.wilson@acxiom.com<ma...@acxiom.com>
TEL    501.342.2870
MBL   972.984.0268
5213 Rolling Rock Dr, McKinney, TX, 75070, USA
WWW.ACXIOM.COM<http://WWW.ACXIOM.COM>

[Friend Us on Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/acxiomcorp>  [Link Us on LinkedIn] <http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=2901735>   [Follow Us on Twitter] <http://twitter.com/acxiom>

[cid:image004.png@01CB84F1.26214350]
________________________________
The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank you.

Re: Hadoop in Eclipse

Posted by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com>.
Seconded. In Eclipse, I create a new empty Java project, then import as an external jar the core hadoop jar. That's it. It'll then offer code completion and online code checking as you type. To build my code I use ant on the command line and a build.xml file that I derived from the hadoop build.xml, but vastly simplified. I run the driver jar locally which then runs M/R either locally or on a cluster...or I can upload the jar to Azure...or presumably AWS although I haven't worked with that cloud yet.

The Hadoop core jar should get you going.

Cheers!
Sent from my phone, please excuse my brevity.
Keith Wiley, kwiley@keithwiley.com, http://keithwiley.com

Jagat <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

If you are looking to setup eclipse just to write mappers and reducers for
your code then

Create a eclipse java project
Download Apache bundle of Hadoop from Apache hadoop website
If you are using Hadoop 0.23 then go to share folder and add all those jars
e.g mapreduce , hdfs etc into project build path
If you are using Hadoop 1.x or 0,20 series then jars are present right
inside the home folder so you can directly add them to build path

Just run the main class which is your driver for your mapper and reducer
and remember to use job.setJarByClass method

Hope this helps.

Re: Hadoop in Eclipse

Posted by Jagat <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: Hadoop in Eclipse

Posted by Serge Blazhiyevskyy <Se...@nice.com>.
Hi,

Oracle removed java packages from partners web-site.

Try to follow these steps:

http://blog.flexion.org/2012/01/16/install-sun-java-6-jre-jdk-from-deb-pack
ages/

Let me know if you run into problems

Regards,
Serge

RE: Hadoop in Eclipse

Download the file that starts with hadoop

Also, I have some basic instructions on my blog:

Hadoopway.blogspot.com

Good luck!

On 5/7/12 3:40 PM, "Wilson Wayne - wwilso" <Wa...@acxiom.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the quick response.  To show just how new I am to all this,
>where would I be able to download those libraries or find them if the
>maven build created them?  Also, would I only need the MapReduce ones or
>all of them.  Would I need the Hadoop-core.jar that doesn't appear to be
>on my system anywhere?
>
>Sorry for the very basic, newbie questions.

privileged.

RE: Hadoop in Eclipse

Posted by Wilson Wayne - wwilso <Wa...@acxiom.com>.
Great!  Thanks for the help.  I'll give it a try.

Download the file that starts with hadoop

Also, I have some basic instructions on my blog:

Hadoopway.blogspot.com

Good luck!

On 5/7/12 3:40 PM, "Wilson Wayne - wwilso" <Wa...@acxiom.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the quick response.  To show just how new I am to all this,
>where would I be able to download those libraries or find them if the
>maven build created them?  Also, would I only need the MapReduce ones or
>all of them.  Would I need the Hadoop-core.jar that doesn't appear to be
>on my system anywhere?
>
>Sorry for the very basic, newbie questions.

privileged.

Re: Hadoop in Eclipse

Posted by Serge Blazhiyevskyy <Se...@nice.com>.

RE: Hadoop in Eclipse

Posted by Wilson Wayne - wwilso <Wa...@acxiom.com>.

From: Wilson Wayne - wwilso <Wa...@acxiom.com>>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 16:10:17 -0600
To: "core-user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <co...@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Hadoop in Eclipse

[cid:image001.gif@01CD2C6F.7A0BD440]<http://www.facebook.com/acxiomcorp>  [cid:image002.gif@01CD2C6F.7A0BD440] <http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=2901735>   [cid:image003.gif@01CD2C6F.7A0BD440] <http://twitter.com/acxiom>

Re: Hadoop in Eclipse

Posted by Denny Lee <De...@microsoft.com>.
Hi Wayne,

For the error message you're receiving – you will need to copy the Hadoop jar files from the Hadoop cluster you're trying to connect to.  A couple good references on that call out include:
Configuring Eclipse for Hadoop Development (a screencast …<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=setup%20eclipse%20for%20hadoop&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cloudera.com%2Fblog%2F2009%2F04%2Fconfiguring-eclipse-for-hadoop-development-a-screencast%2F&ei=rP6oT_uJK6OriAKL1bCyAg&usg=AFQjCNFSn9WUJRda4w6assu3NBdaZXOf3g&sig2=5q0pujY-WQyh7V77qJUsnQ>
Hadoop Tutorial – YDN<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=setup%20eclipse%20for%20hadoop&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdeveloper.yahoo.com%2Fhadoop%2Ftutorial%2Fmodule3.html&ei=rP6oT_uJK6OriAKL1bCyAg&usg=AFQjCNH4LIKdAY3IxTnqV5uguF0HyYFZmg&sig2=ywIgtV6bIKiRxnWfhKMVxA>

HTH!
--
denny.lee@microsoft.com<ma...@microsoft.com> |  about.me/dennylee<http://about.me/dennylee>

Re: Hadoop in Eclipse