Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris Thielen <cm...@someone.dhs.org> on 2005/12/01 18:43:32 UTC

Re: Subject only rewritten sometimes?

Hi James,

James Feger wrote:

> I have set my local.cf to look for a hit score of 7.0 or higher. I am
> receiving email and spamd is processing it as spam, attaching a score,
> and
> adding the default message at the top of the email (Email has been tagged
> as possible spam by the system...or whatever).  However, the Subject
> rewrite is not getting performed.  For some emails, the rewrite occurs,
> but not all of them.

Nothing looks horribly wrong to me with your setup.   See if you can
reproduce the no-rewrite state with an email you have received which did
not get the subject rewritten.  Remove the spamassassin markup and
re-send the message through spamassassin (pipe a marked-up email through
"spamassassin -d").  Then, run it through spamc once, twice, three
times.  Does it fail to rewrite the header here each time?  If it
doesn't fail, the problem may be outside SA.  If it does fail to rewrite
the header each time, then try passing it through spamassassin (not
spamc).  Does it fail?  Also, enable -D when passing it to spamassassin
and look for any problems in the debug output.

If you don't know, spamc/spamd are the client/server version of the
spamassassin command.  The spamassassin command itself launches a perl
interpreter each and every time it's run.

Chris Thielen

Re: Subject only rewritten sometimes?

Posted by James Feger <jf...@feger.net>.
Hi Chris,

> Nothing looks horribly wrong to me with your setup.   See if you can
> reproduce the no-rewrite state with an email you have received which did
not
> get the subject rewritten.  Remove the spamassassin markup and re-send
the
> message through spamassassin (pipe a marked-up email through
"spamassassin
> -d").  Then, run it through spamc once, twice, three times.  Does it
fail to
> rewrite the header here each time?  If it doesn't fail, the problem may
be
> outside SA.  If it does fail to rewrite the header each time, then try
> passing it through spamassassin (not spamc).  Does it fail?  Also,
enable -D
> when passing it to spamassassin and look for any problems in the debug
> output.

I tired this, same results.  The eamil is flagged as spam, but the subject
is not re-written.  Something of interest though.  I did not have the:
"rewrite_header Subject *****SPAM*****" option in my local.cf.  I added
this option, and now all the subjects that are associated with spam are
getting flagged with *****SPAM*****.  However, some are now coming through
as "*****SPAM***** [SPAM] original-subject".  Alsmost seems as if SA or
some associated option in SA is parsing the mail twice?  Any idea what
defaults to [SPAM] in the subjects?  Razor, DCC, etc?

Nothing in the message header stands out.  This is an example of what I am
getting now:

From: "Dennis H. NORAD" <wa...@goldschmidtandassociates.com>
To: Jade <ja...@dalnet.com>
Subject: *****SPAM***** [SPAM] Software
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:03:39 -0600

I guess I just need  to track down what defaults as [SPAM]. :)  Maybe this
is a Debian thing. :)

Thanks,
James