Posted to user@spark.apache.org by rkrist <rk...@vub.sk> on 2015/10/21 15:22:30 UTC

spark SQL thrift server - support for more features via jdbc (table catalog)

Hello,

there seems to be missing support for some operations in spark SQL thrift
server. To be more specific - when connected to our spark SQL instance
(1.5.1, standallone deployment) from standard jdbc sql client (squirrel SQL
and few others) via the thrift server, sql query processing seem to work
fine except of one thing - sql client is unable to fetch the list of tables
(objects) present in the spark SQL instance. Tables can be used in sql
queries, which work perfect, but are not visible in the list of objects,
which displays single database/tablespace (default) containing empty
sub-folders (INDEX_TABLE, TABLE, VIEW, UDT).
This makes advanced features of sql client (like code completion and syntax
highlighting) not to work as expected and writing sql queries is not as
comfortable as with ordinary DBMS.

After a short debugging session I found out, that problem seems to be in the
implementation of
org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.server.SparkSQLOperationManager,
which overrides only single kind of operation - execute statement, leaving
other operations to their default Hive implementations (returning empty
database in our case). SQL clients seem to be using standard JDBC API calls
to query database tables and their metadata which will end up in
org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.OperationManager (others than execute
statement - get catalogs, get tables,...) and as there is no Spark
SQL-specific operation, tables registered within Spark SQL are not visible
in those calls.

Is it a known/desired behavior, or is there any plan to add the
implementation of the missing jdbc operations to the
SparkSQLOperationManager to provide the full-featured JDBC functionality?

Thank You for Your answer (and for the great work You are doing there).

Best regards

Rastislav Krist