Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Wentzel <Mi...@aswethink.com> on 2001/06/11 22:07:44 UTC

RE: How can I tell if Tomcat Server is running

I recently installed Tomcat 3.2.2.  When I start the server,
it appears to start correctly (no error messages).  However,
when I try to execute the example SnoopServlet from the
browser by typing:

http:localhost:8080/examples/servlet/SnoopServlet

I get an error message indicating that the page cannot
be opened.  I get the exact same error even if I don't
start the server at all.

Any suggestions on how to see what is actually happening
so that I can solve this problem.  How can I tell if the server
is actually running?

------
First off http://localhost:8080/
Then http://localhost:8080/examples/
etc...

You can also ping your localhost on port 8080.
If you use 'tomcat run' to start tomcat and it doesn't return to
the dos/shell prompt then you will also know you're still running.

FYI - Please note that one of the rules on this list is all messages
are to be posted in plain text so everyone can read them(no HTML).
Not only does this keep us long time residents happy but it will
get you questions answered much more quickly.

---
Michael Wentzel
Software Developer
Software As We Think - http://www.aswethink.com