Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Miller, Eric" <Er...@amd.com> on 2008/10/23 21:00:42 UTC

Strange update behavior (depth bug?)

Could someone tell me if this is intended behavior?  I was trying to see
if a bug I had encountered awhile back was fixed in 1.5 and got
unexpected behavior.

#Create repository (r0)
svnadmin create repos
svn co -N file://`pwd`/repos wc

#Add a directory adir and file adir/afile (r1)
mkdir wc/adir
touch wc/adir/afile
svn add wc/adir
svn ci -m '' wc

#Modify afile (r2)
echo "foo" >> wc/adir/afile
svn ci -m '' wc

#Remove adir (r3)
svn up wc
svn rm wc/adir
svn ci -m '' wc

#Create a new adir and afile (r4)
svn mkdir wc/adir
echo "foo2" >> wc/adir/afile
svn add wc/adir/afile
svn ci -m '' wc

#Try to get back to r1
svn up -r1 wc
  D wc/adir

adir gets deleted - this seems like a dubious thing to do.

#Try to get back to r4
svn up -r4 wc
adir still MIA.  It looks like the depth got set to empty?

I'm still in the stone ages of 1.4 so bear with me on these new fangled
features. :D

Thanks,
Eric Miller

RE: Strange update behavior (depth bug?)

Posted by "Miller, Eric" <Er...@amd.com>.
> From: Ryan Schmidt [mailto:subversion-2008c@ryandesign.com]
>
> On Oct 23, 2008, at 16:00, Miller, Eric wrote:
>
> > Could someone tell me if this is intended behavior?  I was trying
> > to see
> > if a bug I had encountered awhile back was fixed in 1.5 and got
> > unexpected behavior.
> >
> > #Create repository (r0)
> > svnadmin create repos
> > svn co -N file://`pwd`/repos wc
>
> [snip]
>
> > I'm still in the stone ages of 1.4 so bear with me on these new
> > fangled
> > features. :D
>
> So wait, are you running Subversion 1.4.x or 1.5.x?

Sorry, I was not clear.  The bug demonstrated is under 1.5.

I am used to using 1.4 so this may be "expected" behavior that just
doesn't make sense to someone not used to the 1.5 quirks.

Eric

Re: Strange update behavior (depth bug?)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 23, 2008, at 16:00, Miller, Eric wrote:

> Could someone tell me if this is intended behavior?  I was trying
> to see
> if a bug I had encountered awhile back was fixed in 1.5 and got
> unexpected behavior.
>
> #Create repository (r0)
> svnadmin create repos
> svn co -N file://`pwd`/repos wc

[snip]

> I'm still in the stone ages of 1.4 so bear with me on these new
> fangled
> features. :D

So wait, are you running Subversion 1.4.x or 1.5.x?

You should be running 1.5.x which includes a new --depth parameter
which improves on and replaces the -N parameter. See the book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.sparsedirs.html