Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/23 07:00:21 UTC

A license check tool offered by Apache SkyWalking Community

Hi podlings

Apache SkyWalking graduated from the incubator years ago, but we still
remember we were struggling to keep licenses of dependencies well
organized and listed correctly.
So, SkyWalking PMC/Committer worked with the community starting to
build a tool to help with the license header and dependencies checker.

I am honored to share that, this tool is well built and widely used in
and out of the ASF projects.

https://github.com/apache/skywalking-eyes

Apache SkyWalking eyes is a full-featured license tool to check and
fix license headers and resolve dependencies' licenses, with various
languages support.
No matter whether your source codes are in hybrid license headers, or
a monorepo requires a consistent tool to check dependencies from
different dependency management tools. It works.

Also, as GitHub Action is widely used in the ASF projects, SkyWalking
eyes provide integration with GHA, as well as binary tar and docker
image[1] for other CI platforms.

We hope this project could help incubating projects, especially new
podlings, to analyze dependencies easier.

[1] https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/skywalking-eyes

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: A license check tool offered by Apache SkyWalking Community

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Automated tools are a great help and can reduce the time required for this work, but please remember they will not find every issues. I’ve see this time and time again in incubating projects.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: A license check tool offered by Apache SkyWalking Community

Posted by kezhenxu94 <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi Vladimir Sitnikov thanks for sharing!

Yes overriding a dependencies license is important when the tool cannot
identify it, and we have this feature too

> 18. Declare the dependency licenses which cannot be identified by this tool.

[![skywalking-eyes.png](cid:1D96852C-80F2-46B5-AA98-F2C96A7CDA75)
---
| [apache/skywalking-eyes: A full-featured license tool to check and fix
license headers and resolve dependencies'
licenses.](https://github.com/apache/skywalking-
eyes#configurations)[github.com](https://github.com/apache/skywalking-
eyes#configurations)
---
](https://github.com/apache/skywalking-eyes#configurations)

Currently license eye supports Golang, maven, npm, and Rust cargo, while
gradle is in my roadmap too. Glad to see your tool!

Posted by kezhenxu94 <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> In terms of binary dependency, if those “dependencies used by our dependencies” (usually called transitive dependencies) are not mentioned in the using dependencies, we can also detect and list the transitive dependencies in our license file as they are finally bundled in our binary too (mostly). But if you mean our dependency uses third party source code without mentioning it, that’s a bit troublesome.

A lot of code does indeed do this and there's no real simple automated way to detect that. This tool I believe may be based on a misconception, the LICENSE file doesn’t contain a list of licenses of the dependencies but the licences of what code that is bundled in the release. The license of the dependancies only matter if they are not compatible with the Apache license e.g. GPL or other category X license.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: A license check tool offered by Apache SkyWalking Community

Posted by kezhenxu94 <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by kezhenxu94 <ke...@apache.org>.
We have this https://github.com/apache/skywalking-eyes#check-dependencies-licenses to check license compatibility, now we only offer compatibility matrix with Apache license 2.0

Posted by kezhenxu94 <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiaofeng <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Xiaofeng <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

1. https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/skywalking/9.1.0/apache-skywalking-apm-9.1.0-src.tgz <https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/skywalking/9.1.0/apache-skywalking-apm-9.1.0-src.tgz>

Re: A license check tool offered by Apache SkyWalking Community

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年8月23日周二 15:50写道:

> Hi,
>
> Also remember that it’s only code that ends up in the release and not all dependancies that impact the LICENSE and NOTICE files.

Agree. The tool would not be perfect, it just reduces the workload
from a manual dependencies analysis.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Yu Xiao <xi...@apache.org> 于2022年8月23日周二 15:44写道:

> Hi
>
> It is very good.
>
> Will the following features be available in the future :
>
> Comparison of license files with dependencies (e.g. license files with
> missing some).

It is available if you directly use GHA.
SkyWalking uses this
- GHA https://github.com/apache/skywalking/blob/77ba2d553d77a4acacd8b2498cb09ea983a9baf4/.github/workflows/skywalking.yaml#L57

The tool would resolve the licenses of runtime dependencies and apply
this template(https://github.com/apache/skywalking/blob/77ba2d553d77a4acacd8b2498cb09ea983a9baf4/.github/workflows/skywalking.yaml#L81)
to do binary license checking(use `git diff`).

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Posted by Yu Xiao <xi...@apache.org>.
Hi

Fwd: A license check tool offered by Apache SkyWalking Community

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
FYI, maybe useful for us too.

Gj

Posted by Yu Xiao <xi...@apache.org>.