Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Linus Kamb <ka...@emsc-csem.org> on 2010/01/25 15:03:57 UTC

database connections

Hi,

I have recently had a couple of instances where the Jetspeed database
connections appear to have been lost, either timed out from inactivity, or
there has been a network interruption, or not quite sure what.  I believe it
is the timeout, but I'm not certain.  In any case, over the weekend,
catalina.out filled up with 145k SQLExceptions of:

java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection reset

    at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)

    at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:179)

    at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:333)

    at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.setAutoCommit(OracleConnection.java:1224
)

    at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingConnection.setAutoCommit(DelegatingConnect
ion.java:331)

    at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper.setAuto
Commit(PoolingDataSource.java:317)

    at
org.apache.jetspeed.statistics.impl.BatchedStatistics.flush(BatchedStatistic
s.java:162)

    at
org.apache.jetspeed.statistics.impl.BatchedStatistics.checkAndDoFlush(Batche
dStatistics.java:87)

    at
org.apache.jetspeed.statistics.impl.BatchedStatistics.run(BatchedStatistics.
java:133)

    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Broken pipe

[...]

[.]

Is the DataSource configured, or configurable, to check that the connection
is still valid before returning it?  I know such a thing is, in general,
possible for the Apache PoolingDataSource, but I don't see it in the
Jetspeed configuration.

I'm running Jetspeed 2.1.3 on Linux, talking to Oracle 10, and looking in
[JetspeedInstall]/database/database.properites

The datasource.xml file (from both database/assembly. and
webapps/Jetspeed/WEB-INF/assembly.) seems to be default configuration using
Spring JNDI.

thanks,

Linus

Re: database connections

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
You can also increase the amount of time that your database will wait
for an idle connection before timing out.
This is database dependent and probably has to be higher on your test
system than in production but we had to increase ours to allow the
weekend to go by without MySQL dropping the connection.

Ron

RE: database connections

Posted by Linus Kamb <ka...@emsc-csem.org>.

Re: database connections