Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Clay Atkins <ca...@spcmg.com> on 1999/12/01 06:03:35 UTC

getting started

I need a little nudge here:

- I have the source through CVS

"locus.apache.org" can't find the mailbox

- Am I correct in assessing that the architecture is to construct a tree
(hash) of classes, each corresponding to a specific FO element, and capable
of rendering for that particular formatting object?  Then, asking the root
class to format itself, recursively formats the entire tree, and at some
point in the recursion, reaches formatting objects that don't format, but
rather "layout" areas of the document?

- Where is org.apache.fop.fo.properties.*?

- Who wrote this?  This thing is huge!

Re: getting started

Posted by James Tauber <jt...@jtauber.com>.
> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Clay Atkins wrote:
> > "locus.apache.org" can't find the mailbox
>
> it's "fop-cvs@xml.apache.org" you should be trying.

Sorry, that's my fault. I forgot what it was and thought I saw someone
mention [module]-cvs.

James

RE: getting started

Posted by Clay Atkins <ca...@spcmg.com>.
I tried fop-cvs@xml.apache.org and got the same error.

> "locus.apache.org" can't find the mailbox

it's "fop-cvs@xml.apache.org" you should be trying.

	Brian

Re: getting started

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@apache.org>.

Re: getting started

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Clay Atkins wrote:

> - Am I correct in assessing that the architecture is to construct a tree
> (hash) of classes, each corresponding to a specific FO element, and capable
> of rendering for that particular formatting object?  Then, asking the root
> class to format itself, recursively formats the entire tree, and at some
> point in the recursion, reaches formatting objects that don't format, but
> rather "layout" areas of the document?

I guess more or less, depending on use of English. :-) An "area tree" gets
built, from the formatting object tree. Constructing the area tree is the
"layout" phase. Then the rendering starts, and each area knows how to
render itself, whether to PDF or something else.

 > - Where is org.apache.fop.fo.properties.*?

These classes are produced by XT from the file "properties.xml" in the
codegen folder through application of the XSL stylesheet "properties.xsl".

> - Who wrote this?  This thing is huge!

James Tauber (all hail) is da man. :-)

Arved