Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Joe Stein <ch...@allthingshadoop.com> on 2011/01/25 06:32:15 UTC

HBase GeoIndex?

Hi, does anyone know of any implementation of GeoIndexing on HBase as of
yet?

If not I was thinking of writing one using CoProcessors to increment the
substrings of a GeoHash to help with "number of neighbors" and being able to
filter out points that do not have immediate clusters defined by some value
function.

I am not sure how much benefit this would have yet vs
just de-normalizing the substring points and scanning which is more run of
the mill depending on performance.

Thanx

/*
Joe Stein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/charmalloc
Twitter: @allthingshadoop
*/

Re: HBase GeoIndex?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> Hi, does anyone know of any implementation of GeoIndexing on
> HBase as of yet?

Given the lack of responses, I think not.

> If not I was thinking of writing one using CoProcessors to
> increment the substrings of a GeoHash to help with "number
> of neighbors" and being able to filter out points that do
> not have immediate clusters defined by some value function.

This sounds interesting. Please let us know how it works out if you try it.

Best regards,

    - Andy

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back.
 - Piet Hein (via Tom White)