Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jonathan Wei <jo...@apache.org> on 2018/05/29 23:59:15 UTC

Druid IP clearance questions

Hi all,

I'm a member of the PPMC for the Druid incubator project. I'm looking into
getting our sources migrated to ASF repos, and I had some questions
regarding the Copyright section in the incubation work items.

1.) For the first item under Copyright:

> "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been
received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the package, the core
code, and any new code produced by the project."

Is the PPMC responsible for making these checks? If so, what specific
checks need to be made?

The SGA has been submitted for Druid, but I don't think the project has
gotten IP clearance yet based on the "Licensing" section in the roster page
(https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/druid).

When would we be legally clear to start migrating the sources?

2.) For the second item under Copyright:

> "Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
updated to reflect the new ASF copyright."

Is it okay to update the licensing headers in the source after the repo
migration?

Based on this thread (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0731922b7c7c373ddb5edd082fe6d92be30ef787a5bcd539885e0d5b@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E),
the answer seems to be yes, but I wanted to double-check.

Thanks,
Jon

Re: Druid IP clearance questions

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>> "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been
> received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the package, the core
> code, and any new code produced by the project.”

That would be the SGA.

> The SGA has been submitted for Druid, but I don't think the project has
> gotten IP clearance yet based on the "Licensing" section in the roster page
> (https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/druid).

The SGA is part of the IP clearance, you'll also need to get ICLAs from all contributors see [1]. Your may of course have already have that.

I’m currently a mentor for Apache Dubbo and this is what they did to track what was covered by the SGA/ICLAs. [2] (The software donated with ALv2 licensed and they also had their own ICLAs on record which may not apply to you.)

> When would we be legally clear to start migrating the sources?

Right away if the SGA is complete [3] but you can’t make a release until you have IP clearance.

> 2.) For the second item under Copyright:
>
>> "Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
> updated to reflect the new ASF copyright."
>
> Is it okay to update the licensing headers in the source after the repo
> migration?
>
> Based on this thread (
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0731922b7c7c373ddb5edd082fe6d92be30ef787a5bcd539885e0d5b@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E),
> the answer seems to be yes, but I wanted to double-check.

The order Dave suggests there is a good one as it documents what file headers have been changed.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ip_clearance.html
2. https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/wiki/CLA-signing-status