Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com> on 2004/02/27 13:21:05 UTC

[RT] Modules in Lenya

Hello developers,

I need to develop a newsletter functionality for 2 sites I did with
lenya. IMHO Lenya needs a mechanism to plugin such functionalities.

Of course a publication is a kind of a module providing functionality,
but I think of modules as building blocks for publications.

I did the following to have a simple module concept, which extends the
usecase concept.

It's like this:

- A new matcher called module acting on the var. lenya.module
- global-sitemap.xmap routes a request with param lenya.module=mname to
the module mname. It mounts a sitemap with the following pattern:
modules/{mname}/module.xmap
- Each module has a usecase.xmap located at modules/{mname}/usecase.xmap

I want to use my module in some publications. I see modules as aspects
of publications. That means functionality which may be used in a lot of
pubs.

WDYT?

--

Rolf Kulemann

"There is inherently no silverbullet" - F.Brooks

Re: [RT] Modules in Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> In my case the newsletter stuff will be used in different pubs. Should
> mean I would access a pub from another pub. What about single sign ons?
> Does the user need to login to two pubs then?

You can share an accreditable manager between publications:

<accreditable-manager type="file">
   <parameter name="directory"
     value="context:///lenya/pubs/default/config/ac/passwd"/>
</accreditable-manager>

This means that you can't share the newsletter publication
between two pubs with different accreditables, but you
can't have everything :)

> Imagine I want to use the blogging stuff on more than one pub? What
> would be the best way to reuse the blog functionality in my publications
> as well as the newsletter stuff?

If this is possible, I think it would make sense to keep
the publications separated with shared access control.

-- Andreas

Re: [RT] Modules in Lenya

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 18:28, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 13:21, Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> >
> >>Hello developers,
> >>
> >>I need to develop a newsletter functionality for 2 sites I did with
> >>lenya. IMHO Lenya needs a mechanism to plugin such functionalities.
> >>
> >>Of course a publication is a kind of a module providing functionality,
> >>but I think of modules as building blocks for publications.
> >

> > Ok, I now see a point why to use a publication for a modules.
> > For my newsltetters I need lots of forms, a navigation, menu,etc. This
> > is of course a concern of a publication.......
> >
> > Makes sense?
>
> IMHO yes. For the moment, one level of modularization
> is enough :)

Yes, but there is still a problem with pubs:

In my case the newsletter stuff will be used in different pubs. Should
mean I would access a pub from another pub. What about single sign ons?
Does the user need to login to two pubs then?

Imagine I want to use the blogging stuff on more than one pub? What
would be the best way to reuse the blog functionality in my publications
as well as the newsletter stuff?

--
Rolf Kulemann

Chicago Transit Authority Rider's Rule #36:
	Never ever ask the tough looking gentleman wearing El Rukn
headgear where he got his "pyramid powered pizza warmer".
		-- Chicago Reader 3/27/81

PGP/GPG public key:
	 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B4EA7EA

Re: [RT] Modules in Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [RT] Modules in Lenya

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 13:21, Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> Hello developers,
>
> I need to develop a newsletter functionality for 2 sites I did with
> lenya. IMHO Lenya needs a mechanism to plugin such functionalities.
>
> Of course a publication is a kind of a module providing functionality,
> but I think of modules as building blocks for publications.

Ok, I now see a point why to use a publication for a modules.
For my newsltetters I need lots of forms, a navigation, menu,etc. This
is of course a concern of a publication.......

Makes sense?

--
Rolf Kulemann

Coincidences are spiritual puns.