Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/03 16:22:01 UTC

[general] JavaOne milestone

Guys,

JavaOne is coming! :)

I believe that some one of us (Geir? Tim?) will present Harmony on JavaOne.
Let's support our representatives and create a milestone for it.

I see at least two benefits from the milestone:
1. We can define the list of demos, stress test Harmony on this demos
and fix the issues discovered.
2. We will have a link to binaries for interested people.

Thoughts?

What applications can we demonstrate Harmony with? Eclipse? Probably
some benchmark results? jEdit? Other candidates?

SY, Alexey

Re: [general] JavaOne milestone

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> Guys,
>
> JavaOne is coming! :)
>
> I believe that some one of us (Geir? Tim?) will present Harmony on JavaOne.
> Let's support our representatives and create a milestone for it.
>
> I see at least two benefits from the milestone:
> 1. We can define the list of demos, stress test Harmony on this demos
> and fix the issues discovered.
> 2. We will have a link to binaries for interested people.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> What applications can we demonstrate Harmony with? Eclipse? Probably
> some benchmark results? jEdit? Other candidates?

There is a technical session on Harmony, so I agree it would be good to
get a solid download available for then (in fact, ApacheCon is the week
before, so I suggest we aim for end of April as a milestone build).

As discussed on the 'supported platforms' thread, building for PIII (or
better), with Windows and Linux should be sufficient.  We just need to
get a good run at the stability tests to ensure the milestone provides a
good, honest reflection of where we are at the moment.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [general] JavaOne milestone

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
In fact we can not demonstrate all the possible scenarios on the
show... Just a couple of them :)

SY, Alexey

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zakharov, Vasily M" <va...@intel.com>.
Alexey,

I'm now working on enabling Netbeans.

Most of currently filed issues are either fixed or have known temporal
workarounds (e. g. Xalan can be disabled in bootclasspath.properties to
allow NetBeans to start), but even more problems are being investigated
and not filed yet.

For now, NetBeans starts and draws the GUI, but otherwise the interface
mostly doesn't work. One can do File - Exit, but that's almost all - no
child windows can be opened. Clearly, many problems in AWT/Swing still
need to be addressed.

Vasily Zakharov
Intel ESSD

There are 5 open JIRA issues with Netbeans related problems.
As far as I know JBoss works with Harmony.

It looks like the one of the most common problem is widely used by
community java libraries in bootclasspath of Harmony. Like xalan or
xerces. As far as I remember we have some JIRA issues on that.
Could anybody say what is the progress on this issue? If there is any...
:)

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jin Mingjian <ji...@gmail.com>.
Client: Eclipse, NetBeans