Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/15 22:05:02 UTC

[MENTOR] How to handle Air app signing certificate

> I fixed all the issues identified by the RAT check except certificate.p12.
>  That's a binary file and I don't think it can go in the source
> distribution.
>
> I'll leave that to Om and/or Erik to figure out.

It makes sense for any developer who wants to work on it to create their
own certificate.  Flash Builder makes it very seamless.

But, what about official releases?  We need to have and maintain one
certificate so that the app upgrades on client's machines go smoothly.

.p12 files can be created, modified etc. using a variety of tools like
Flash Builder, OpenSSL, etc.  Can we make an exception for p12 files and
keep it in the source?

Thanks,
Om

Re: Release Managers and Multi-platform releases (was Re: [MENTOR] How to handle Air app signing certificate)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 8/16/12 1:07 PM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

>> I understand the installer needs a Mac binary and a Win binary, but since
>> they are not official releases, I don't see why the release manager can't
>> ask someone else to build a package for them.
>
> I would think the release manager should not sign "the apache way" a
> binary or a binary distro with a binary in it that they didn't build.
> Everything on the distro site needs to be signed.  I did not sign the
> asdoc package when we released and I was asked not too long ago, I think
> by someone from infra, to do that.
>
> Maybe the mentors know the real answer to this.
>
> Carol

I would think if someone supplies the other platform's binary in a secure
way it should be good enough, but we'll see what the mentors say.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Release Managers and Multi-platform releases (was Re: [MENTOR] How to handle Air app signing certificate)

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Clint Modien <cm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...strange that Apache doesn't have a code signing process in place already…
> seems like a pretty common requirement....

See http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing for how releases are signed.

You're right that the ASF doesn't currently have a standard process
for digital certificates - the OpenOffice podling has been discussing
this recently, see http://s.apache.org/Hii - I haven't followed the
details.

-Bertrand

Re: [MENTOR] How to handle Air app signing certificate

Posted by Clint Modien <cm...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good… strange that Apache doesn't have a code signing process in place already… seems like a pretty common requirement.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
So how does this sound:

[1] http://markmail.org/message/5te7ygbwzxulhpyj

Posted by Clint Modien <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 15, 2012, at 1:27 PM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 8/15/12 1:14 PM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the question to be asked is can we keep certificate.p12 in the
>> repository and not put it in the source distro?
>>
>> Carol
>>
> Isn't the P12 file made out to some individual like Om?  If so, it should
> not be in the repo or distro and one of the steps to building is for the
> builder to get their own .p12 file.

Is there any reason for a user to need to examine these?

Otherwise these seem to be similar to the KEYS file. Perhaps the same treatment, or can the .p12 be extracted from the KEYS?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Clint Modien <cm...@gmail.com>.
An air app must be signed with the same cert or it won't install/update unless you change the app id.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.