Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Anil K. Vijendran" <ak...@eng.sun.com> on 1999/07/22 23:06:47 UTC

Which Apache Version?

Folks,

A couple of us here are wondering what your thoughts are on the Apache
versions Jakarta/Tomcat should run on?

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)

Re: Which Apache Version?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
"Anil K. Vijendran" wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A couple of us here are wondering what your thoughts are on the Apache
> versions Jakarta/Tomcat should run on?

I would target 1.3.6 (nothing less) for AJP-connection and 2.0 for
native connection.

This means: merge the existing JServ code and you're done in the short
time. When Apache goes multithreaded, we might think of including the
JVM inside the Apache process and move from there on.

With Apache 1.3.x there is no choice but to follow the AJP model (unless
you want to fire off a single JVM per process and you have gigas of RAM
to throw away)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi       A language that doesn't affect the way you
                      think about programming, is not worth knowing.

Re: Which Apache Version?

Posted by "Anil K. Vijendran" <ak...@eng.sun.com>.
Yep, actually it was Costin and me that were wondering what others had to
say about versions...

Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> "Anil K. Vijendran" wrote:
> >
> > Folks,
> >
> > A couple of us here are wondering what your thoughts are on the Apache
> > versions Jakarta/Tomcat should run on?
> >
> Definitely I think that we should forget about backward compatibility
> with 1.2 for an infinite number of reasons. The best solution is to
> start with the 1.3 tree and then to check the C code we produce also
> against the APR version of it (Apache 2.0 APR 0.1)...
> Anyway, Costin Manolanche is our expert for Apache versioning, and
> luckily, it's just in the office next yours (hopefully!)... He analyzed
> a lot of Apache internals while writing mod_java, and I believe he's one
> of the most expert in that field who worked with Java Apache and
> Apache...
>
> Some other good opinions should be gathered by Jean Luc Rochat, he's the
> one who mostly developed, together w/ Bernie Bernstein, the JServ load
> balancing code, but I don't know if they are subscribers of this mailing
> list... (this message was CCed 'em!)
>
>         Pier

Peace, Anil +<:-)

Re: Which Apache Version?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> > > Definitely I think that we should forget about backward compatibility
> > > with 1.2 for an infinite number of reasons. The best solution is to
> > > start with the 1.3 tree and then to check the C code we produce also
> > > against the APR version of it (Apache 2.0 APR 0.1)...
> >
> > You should also look at the MPM version. That's where the most
> > interesting stuff is happening (IMO). If modifications are needed it'd
> > be nice to hear about them while we are in experimentation mode.
> >
> And here is comes out how I DON'T KNOW NOTHING ABOUT APACHE :)))
> (Clap your hands please :)
>
> Sorry, err... ehmmm... what is MPM??? I just read the summarys from Ken
> and, there's no summary about it... :)

:-) MPM is the version some of us are playing with that allows for
different process models (prefork, threaded of various flavours and so
on). It also has a new hooking mechanism and multiprotocol support (as
of yesterday).

It lives in the apache-2.0 tree, under mpm.

I've forgotten what MPM stands for (something to do with process models,
I think - ask Dean Gaudet).

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Which Apache Version?

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> >
> > "Anil K. Vijendran" wrote:
> > >
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > A couple of us here are wondering what your thoughts are on the Apache
> > > versions Jakarta/Tomcat should run on?
> > >
> > Definitely I think that we should forget about backward compatibility
> > with 1.2 for an infinite number of reasons. The best solution is to
> > start with the 1.3 tree and then to check the C code we produce also
> > against the APR version of it (Apache 2.0 APR 0.1)...
>
> You should also look at the MPM version. That's where the most
> interesting stuff is happening (IMO). If modifications are needed it'd
> be nice to hear about them while we are in experimentation mode.

And here is comes out how I DON'T KNOW NOTHING ABOUT APACHE :)))
(Clap your hands please :)

Sorry, err... ehmmm... what is MPM??? I just read the summarys from Ken
and, there's no summary about it... :)

	Pier (feeling REALLY ignorant!)

Re: Which Apache Version?

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
costin@dnt.ro wrote:

> The threading ( and process model ) code is just another module ( so is
> scoreboard )!

WHOHA!!!! Gotta get it NOW!!! Bye!

	Pier (went downloading :)

RE: Which Apache Version?

Posted by co...@dnt.ro.
> > You should also look at the MPM version. That's where the most
> > interesting stuff is happening (IMO). If modifications are needed it'd
> > be nice to hear about them while we are in experimentation mode.
>

> Do you have a URL for that?

Check the mailing lists of Apache (new-httpd). Also, you can download the
tar.gz from apache.org - with some nice comments ( it's the 2.0 branch)

I love MPM :-) It's the best way to merge old multiprocess apache with
multithreading. t

The threading ( and process model ) code is just another module ( so is
scoreboard )!

Costin

RE: Which Apache Version?

Posted by Liam Magee <li...@interneticons.com.au>.

> You should also look at the MPM version. That's where the most
> interesting stuff is happening (IMO). If modifications are needed it'd
> be nice to hear about them while we are in experimentation mode.

Do you have a URL for that?

Regards,

Liam.

Re: Which Apache Version?