Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/08 09:36:12 UTC

New Certified Distribution for Solr with free Solr Reference Guide

I'm excited to announce the release of Lucid's certified distribution
for Solr.  Below is the marketing blurb, but a bit of a personal take
first.

The reference guide is a must-have for all of us (including myself),
many great details about how all the config options work, etc.  And
it's *searchable* :) (see link below)

What about the actual certified distribution itself?   Being all about
the open source myself, why would I want to use it?  The advantage to
me personally include the pre-configured features such as clustering
(which doesn't come fully functional with Solr itself due to Apache
licensing restrictions) and, of course, my baby Solritas as a starter
search UI view.

Feel free to personally send me feedback with the certified distro and
the reference guide, or for that matter any thoughts on how Lucid can
help you or the community.

Thanks,
	Erik

------------

LucidWorks Certified Distribution for Solr 1.4 is available from Lucid
Imagination, free with registration. It now includes with a
comprehensive 375-page reference guide, and an installer, available
free at http://download.lucidimagination.com. You can download the
Certified Distribution as a .jar file, or download the reference guide
as a standalone. The reference guide is also available for search
online at http://search.lucidimagination.com

Key topics covered in the Reference Guide include:

     * Getting Started: This chapter guides you through the
installation and set-up of the LucidWorks for Solr Certified
Distribution.
     * Using the Admin Web Interface: introduces the Solr Web
interface. From your browser, you can view configuration files, submit
queries, view logfile settings and Java environment settings, and
monitor and control distributed configurations.
     * Documents, Fields, and Schema Design: describes how Solr
organizes its data for indexing. It explains how a Solr schema defines
the fields and field types which Solr uses to organize data within the
document files it indexes.
     * Understanding Analyzers, Tokenizers, and Filters: explains how
Solr prepares text for indexing and searching. Analyzers parse text
and produce a stream of tokens, lexical units used for indexing and
searching. Tokenizers break field data down into tokens. Filters
perform other transformational or selective work on token streams.
     * Indexing and Basic Data Operations: describes the indexing
process and basic index operations, such as commit, optimize, and
rollback.
     * Searching: presents an overview of the search process in Solr.
It describes the main components used in searches, including request
handlers, query parsers, and response writers. It lists the query
parameters that can be passed to Solr, and it describes features such
as boosting and faceting, which can be used to fine-tune search results.
     * The Well Configured Solr Instance: discusses performance tuning
for Solr. It tells you how to configure multiple SolrCores, how to
configure the Lucene index writer, and more.
     * Managing Solr: discusses important topics for running and
monitoring Solr. It describes running Solr in the Apache Tomcat
servlet runner and Web server. It also describes LucidGaze, Lucid
Imagination's tool for statistical reporting about Solr. Other topics
include how to back up a Solr instance, and how to run Solr with Java
Management Extensions (JMX).
     * Scaling and Distribution: tells you how to grow a Solr
distribution by dividing a large index into sections called shards,
which are then distributed across multiple servers, or by replicating
a single index across multiple services.
     * Client APIs: tells you how to access Solr through various
client APIs, including JavaScript, JSON, and Ruby.

More at http://www.lucidimagination.com/Downloads/LucidWorks-for-Solr/

Re: New Certified Distribution for Solr with free Solr Reference Guide

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jan 8, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Jonas Bosson wrote:

>> Being all about the open source myself, why would I want to use it?  The advantage to me personally include the pre-configured features such as clustering (which doesn't come fully functional with Solr itself due to Apache licensing restrictions) and, of course, my baby Solritas as a starter search UI view.
>>
> Please explain what licensing part you cant publish under.

Some of the Carrot2 dependencies are LGPL.  Solr provides a mechanism for downloading them, but they aren't in the Apache distribution for legal reasons.

-Grant

Re: New Certified Distribution for Solr with free Solr Reference Guide

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jonas Bosson <jo...@illuminet.se>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I'm excited to announce the release of Lucid's certified distribution
> for Solr.  Below is the marketing blurb, but a bit of a personal take
> first.

Great!

> Being all about the open source myself, why would I want to use it?
> The advantage to me personally include the pre-configured features
> such as clustering (which doesn't come fully functional with Solr
> itself due to Apache licensing restrictions) and, of course, my baby
> Solritas as a starter search UI view.

Please explain what licensing part you cant publish under.

/jonas bosson

Re: New Certified Distribution for Solr with free Solr Reference Guide

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 8, 2010, at 7:03 AM, Király Péter wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> the first link on page 33 on the Solr Reference Guide is a wrong one.
> The text of the link http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=video, but
> the
> link itself points to http://localhost:8080/solr/select?q=video (the
> difference
> is port 8983 vs. 8080).

Thanks for reporting this, I've passed this on for correction.  In the
future, feel free to send issues directly to me at erik.hatcher@lucidimagination.com
  and I'll direct them internally as appropriate.

	Erik

Re: New Certified Distribution for Solr with free Solr Reference Guide

Posted by Jongjin Choi <jo...@gmail.com>.
ㅁ ㅎㅎㅊ ㄷ

Sent from my iPhone