Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by chocba <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/21 17:43:53 UTC

Storing Portlet Fragment Preference

Hi,
I've a requirement to store fragment preference in portlet edit mode. I
noticed an implementation PortletPreferencesServiceImpl.java in jetspeed
source repository
../components\registry\src\java\org\apache\jetspeed\components\portletpreferences.
In this implementation I could read two methods "retrieveEntityPreferences"
and "storeEntityPreferences" which seems to store fragment preferences, but
not sure.  I appreciate if any one can confirm if this api can do the job
and also help me to identify the component and invoke this methods. Trying
to identify service for this api, I read bean definitions in
WEB-INF/assembly folder, but no luck.

Re: Storing Portlet Fragment Preference

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
By the way, here's a link for the source of PickANumber example:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/portals/applications/demo/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/portals/applications/demo/simple/PickANumberPortlet.java

Woonsan

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Please see comments below.

> I've a requirement to store fragment preference in portlet edit mode.

Jetspeed supports "edit_defaults" mode. I think you can make use of this.

You can implement "edit_defaults" mode in your portlet manually.
Please have a look at the PickANumber example. (It dispatches the edit_defaults mode in doDispatch() method.)
If portlet preferences are stored during edit_defaults mode, then they are stored into fragment preferences.

Or, optionally, if your portlet implements "public doEdit(..)" method, then you can make Jetspeed automatically switch the "edit_defaults" custom mode to your edit mode page, with storing the preferences into fragment preferences. (If a portlet defines the support on "edit_defaults", then it means the portlet will process for the edit_defaults mode manullay. So, auto-switching will not happen in this case. If a portlet defines the support "edit" mode with "public void doEdit(..)" method, but without explicit "edit_defaults" support in portlet.xml, then the auto-switching option can happen for the portlet.)

To use *edit_defaults* mode, you need to do the followings:

(1) Enable the custom mode, *edit_defaults*, in your portlet application by adding the following in portlet.xml:

    <portlet-app>
      <!-- ... -->
      <custom-portlet-mode>
        <description>a Custom Edit_defaults Mode</description>
        <portlet-mode>edit_defaults</portlet-mode>
      </custom-portlet-mode>
    </portlet-app>

(2) If you want manual edit_defaults mode implementation, then add *edit_defaults" support in your portlet like this.
     If you want auto-switching mode, then just keep "edit" mode support without edit_defaults support.

      <portlet>
        <supports>

Posted by chocba <ch...@gmail.com>.
The jetspeed version I'm referring to is 2.2.0