Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Laurent Fallet <la...@mdbinformatique.net> on 2005/12/07 15:35:22 UTC

Is there any optimization possible in Struts?

Hello,
I would like to know if there is any possibility of optimization in
Struts. Is there a cache of page to increase performance? Or memory
allocation? Anything to speed up the processing of pages?
Thx,
Laurent

Re: Is there any optimization possible in Struts?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
On Wed, December 7, 2005 10:23 am, Laurent Fallet said:
> Thanks for your answer, I agree that it is usually
> application-specific... I was thinking of something like memory
> managment, like improving increasing memory size in Tomcat, or cache
> levels in Hibernate. Something more application-dependant, which would
> fasten my application.
> Regards,
> Laurent

I would start by asking if you have profiled the application yet?  It is
usually a futile exercise, and many times can make matters *worse* to just
start tuning essentially at random.

I can tell you that there isn't a whole lot you can configure in terms of
Struts to optimize.  I fact, off the top of my head the only thing I can
think of is the cache header RP settings.

There is more you could do from the Tomcat/Hibernate perspective, but
again, if you don't have a baseline yet, and don't have a specific
performance problem your trying to solve, it is more than likely going to
not be an effective use of your time, and could potentially make matters
worse.

Frank

Re: Is there any optimization possible in Struts?

Posted by Laurent Fallet <la...@mdbinformatique.net>.

--
*Laurent Fallet*
Assistant Chef de projet

*Groupe MdB*
6 rue Van Gogh 93360 Neuilly Plaisance
Tel. 01.56.49.01.71 | Fax 01.56.49.01.67
www.MdBinformatique.com <http://www.MdBinformatique.com>
www.MdBinternet.com <http://www.MdBinternet.com>

Re: Is there any optimization possible in Struts?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Optimization, beyond some standard basics, tends to be extremely
case-specific.  Advice from one person in one case won't necessarily work
in another similar (even seemingly identical) case.

Do you have a specific goal in mind?  Is there something in particular
your trying to get extra performance from?

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies