Posted to user@poi.apache.org by jbraddo <ke...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/04 03:28:47 UTC

Help with POI for Excel

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a program that will read a directory of .xlxs
spreadsheets and then ask the user for a column to extract all data for.

I simply want the user to be able to specify which column, for example they
type in 'A' and the program will grab the data from column A from all the
spreadsheets in that directory and dump them into either a text file or
consolidate all that data and insert it into one column in one spreadsheet.

I'm having a bit of trouble putting it all together, I have the part working
where it recognizes all of the spreadsheets in the directory and puts their
pathnames into an Arraylist which I will most likely pass in to the method
that interacts with the spreasheet, but I don't understand the POI well
enough to figure out how to get it to do what I want from that point on.

If anyone has any suggestions on where I can find information or help, or
has any code suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I've tried searching
the forum for awhile but haven't found anyone who has a situation quite like
mine.

Thanks!