Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2021/08/20 09:27:04 UTC

Towards a (new) UIMA CAS JSON format - feedback welcome!

Hi all,

to facilitate working with UIMA CAS data and to promote interoperability
between different UIMA implementations, a new UIMA JSON CAS format is in
the works - you may already have noticed a corresponding issue in Jira
as well as prototype pull requests in the Apache UIMA Java SDK as well
as in DKPro Cassis. However, the work so far was only preliminary with
the goal of creating a reasonably comprehensive specification draft and
that would be suitable for general comments.

That draft is now available here and the comment functionality is enabled:

  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tHQKbN4rPKOlkjQFGIEoIzI4ZBWRRzPBdOWMK6MIpV8/edit?usp=sharing

If you think a JSON format for the UIMA CAS is a good idea, please have
a look and provide any comments directly in the document or alternatively
here to the list.

The two prototype implementations can be found here if you would like
to play around with them:

* Apache UIMA Java SDK : https://github.com/apache/uima-uimaj/pull/137
* DKPro Cassis (Python): https://github.com/dkpro/dkpro-cassis/pull/169

Note that the prototype implementations largely but not fully follow the
latest specification draft - this is all early work-in-progress.

Looking forward to your comments!

Best,

-- Richard

P.S.: this mail is cross-posted to the UIMA developers list. Please
      send any replies to the users list.

Re: Towards a (new) UIMA CAS JSON format - feedback welcome!

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Richard,
Looks promising! I put a few comments in the drive document.
Regards, Eddie

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Richard,